Naomi questions

PCB problems and fixes
mfny
Please Continue...

Naomi questions

Post by mfny »

Hi all,

Have gotten myself rather confused about how to go about getting a Naomi set up up and running.

So far I have found sources for a cheap Naomi mainboard and a PSU(but have not purchased yet) on ebay.

I am however totally stuck on what I need to buy regarding getting controller(gamepad) inputs into this setup as cheaply and as easily as possible, so can anyone give me a list of stuff I need or some pointers or something ?
pulstar

Re: Naomi questions

Post by pulstar »

If you're trying to get it running on a JAMMA cab then you need a Sega or Capcom I/O board. Here's some information on it http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_naomicapcom.php.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Re: Naomi questions

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Ah reminds me of my first days starting out with Arcades. I had a Naomi shoved into a DIY bartop cab as cheaply as possible lol.

Anyways, First you want to consider how your going to wire your buttons. The Naomi is a JVS system and not Jamma. Jamma is a much more common standard imo so I chose Jamma. But like the last post said you will want to look into a JVS to Jamma converter board if your going that route though you can also wire your buttons for JVS standard and plug them into a JVS I/O board though if you get anything thats a Jamma standard it wont be compatible with your harness directly lets say a Neo Geo MVS for example.

Theres lots of them out there ranging in features and prices but the cheapest you will be looking at around 30 USD or more depending on where you get it.

As far as power is concerned the Naomi can be finicky with power especially for the 3.3 volts. You can mod a standard ATX computer power supply or buy an orginal SUN power supply though they are more expensive honestly I wish I got a SUN supply later on.

But its actually pretty straight forward try not to let all the terms confuse you if your new to arcades. If you go Jamma just wire your buttons and joy sticks according to the Jamma standard just google Jamma pin out, then just connect the Jamma harness for your buttons into your JVS to Jamma I/O board and wire that with a USB cable to your Naomi. Now your playing with power. 8-)

Also pay attention to the JVS I/O you get if you get one. Some require power through the Jamma harness if it has one some dont. ( I can find more info on this if you need cause this was kinda confusing to find honestly)

Dont be afraid to ask more questions i been though this a lot of us have :D just have fun!
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance