Marvel vs Capcom 2 Naomi: game freezes

PCB problems and fixes
Vendest
Please Continue...

Marvel vs Capcom 2 Naomi: game freezes

Post by Vendest »

Hi, I haven't been able to boot MVC2 since I bought it a while ago.
The game will not load when I press Start right after adding up credits.
Done Rom Board Test and I obtain 2 different (but consistent) results as per pictures below.
IMAG0090.jpg
IMAG0091.jpg
IMAG0088.jpg
IC29 pins are rusty. I cleaned it up (as much as I can) and checked for continuity.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Not really well versed on Naomi tech.

Vendest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Marvel vs Capcom 2 Naomi: game freezes

Post by Asayuki »

Your picture is out of focus and not lit in the area of interest, so it's difficult to say something based on it.
Yet I see the reworked pads to be too blurry. There might be short circuits between them which are hidden to the view.
On the pictures you posted, IC31 is always bad, but is mentioned once as being 32M and the other as being 64M.
A short circuit between two traces seems like a logical conclusion to me. Either that, or the rom test is reporting two diffrent results about two different boards. ;)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
Vendest
Please Continue...

Post by Vendest »

Thanks for the help.

Posting a clearer picture of IC29.
I have checked for shorts but couldn't find any so far. Continuity between IC29 and IC31 checks fine too.
I'll probably dump both IC and compare them with MAME rom.

2 test were done from different "test menu" and "Rom test" which gives different IC mapping and I am not sure which one is relevant.
I should be able to use the logic probe when installing the rom on the Naomi w/o casing.
IMAG0128.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Thanks for the photo. Those few legs sure look rusty... The white stuff around the pads, expecially inbetween the legs, looks like a residue; probably out of your cleaning effort. As you mentioned that you would like to dump the mask ROMs, I assume that you can/will desolder them from the board; at which point cleaning will be much easier. Let's hope those rusted pins don't break in the process.

Fingers crossed for you.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.