Star Wars Racer Arcade (Hikaru) not booting up every time

PCB problems and fixes
meyerli
eBay: meyerli0
Initials: MAN

Star Wars Racer Arcade (Hikaru) not booting up every time

Post by meyerli »

I'm having a Star Wars Racer Arcade (the huge deluxe version). When trying to start the screen gives a "No Signal" error. Looks to me as the board isn't started up.
Powering the machine off and on around 10 times brings the game up and is then playable for hours (never had an issue afterwards).

Is that some common error with the Hikaru boards? I've heard that those are very known for failure.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Star Wars Racer Arcade (Hikaru) not booting up every time

Post by Asayuki »

Never had my hands on that system. However when a game behaves randomly at boot, the cause is most often in the reset circuitry.
Shots in the dark: your power supply might be outputting slightly unstable voltages or voltages that rise way too slowly with respect to the rise of the reset signal. Or the reset signal might be rising too soon (which is typically due to a capacitor on the logic board).
Some logic IC might also have "a foot in the grave" for what I know. Hard to say without analysing the fault.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Naomi, Triforce and Chihiro can all exhibit this behaviour and the reason is more often than not aging caps. As this is this from that era, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem here as well.
meyerli
eBay: meyerli0
Initials: MAN

Post by meyerli »

Thanks guys. Will check the PSU voltage and maybe try a replacement if I have one around. Hope it's not the caps/Hikaru board itself.