Possible to run cps1 games on cps1.5 hardware?

PCB problems and fixes
Bytestorm
eBay: stefan_nafets
Initials: LSN

Possible to run cps1 games on cps1.5 hardware?

Post by Bytestorm »

As the title says.. is it possible without converting the data? At least the b21 c board titles? Pal's and such needs to be moved ofc
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Re: Possible to run cps1 games on cps1.5 hardware?

Post by Asure »

Most cps 1.5 boards do not have the sound hardware on the mainboard. Everything is on the extra qsound pcb.
That being said, i have used cps1 boards to replace the cps 1.5 mainboard in a few cases where it broke.
Capcom might have also used normal cps1 boards in production or repairs, so i'm not 100% sure. Check the mainboard i'd say ;)
Bytestorm

Post by Bytestorm »

Asure wrote:Most cps 1.5 boards do not have the sound hardware on the mainboard. Everything is on the extra qsound pcb.
That being said, i have used cps1 boards to replace the cps 1.5 mainboard in a few cases where it broke.
Capcom might have also used normal cps1 boards in production or repairs, so i'm not 100% sure. Check the mainboard i'd say ;)
Ah good idea :) time to buy a cps1 a board then
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

CPS1 boards are pretty repairable. Even the customs can be sourced on a dead CPS2 A board.
Bytestorm

Post by Bytestorm »

leonardoliveira wrote:CPS1 boards are pretty repairable. Even the customs can be sourced on a dead CPS2 A board.
Yeah but that's not my point, I was toying with the idea of a multi cps1.5 capable of running cps1 games ;)..
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

I've tested that myself with a Tenchi wo Kurau2 and to make it happen I only had to swap the PRG1 PAL around (changes 68k memory map, which is slightly different on CPS dash. CP System DASH is the official name for CPS1 with QSOUND)
Bytestorm

Post by Bytestorm »

leonardoliveira wrote:I've tested that myself with a Tenchi wo Kurau2 and to make it happen I only had to swap the PRG1 PAL around (changes 68k memory map, which is slightly different on CPS dash. CP System DASH is the official name for CPS1 with QSOUND)
Perfect! That was exactly what I was hoping for.. can't wait to get my cps1.5 home now ;). Did you also change the cps1 a board to a regular or totally stock?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

I did that just to test a CPS1 (non dash) board I have here. It had obj faults. I replaced the CPS-A chip and that made it work fine again.

I am not using the CPS1 on the CPS dash plastic casing, because my original A board is fine.