Initial D Version 3 Slave to Single Conversion

PCB problems and fixes
BNGamesReviews
Please Continue...
Initials: BM

Initial D Version 3 Slave to Single Conversion

Post by BNGamesReviews »

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, I just bought myself a set of Initial D Version 3 cabs and I intended to split them up so my Dad had one and I got one. I gave my father the main (left) cab which is working, now im stuck figuring out how to power the slave cab im keeping and im hoping someone here might be able to help. First here are some video blogs ive been doing recording the process

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Below are some pictures of the boards in my cab as well as the wiring as I see it right now

Does anyone here know how to convert the cab so it has power? Ive only fopund one article in my search that seems to indicate someone did this successfully but the pictures in the thread have long since been removed

Link: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive ... 69569.html

If your in LA and know how to convert the cab im willing to pay for the help to get this up and running. Im not too keen on messing with the wiring myself since I really do not know what im doing.

Thanks Everyone!

Bobby
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Initial D Version 3 Slave to Single Conversion

Post by DaveyD »

If you have both master and slave units why don't you open both up to compare internals?
BNGamesReviews
Please Continue...

Post by BNGamesReviews »

DaveyD wrote:If you have both master and slave units why don't you open both up to compare internals?
We have, it looks like the transformer (I assume is a transformer) is different.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

One is a transformer, the other one is a switch-mode power supply.
You sure need a professional to look at your cabinet.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Naomi 2 has two Holly chips (two GPUs) and two display DACs. It can obviously drive two displays at once.

It's well possible that one single Naomi 2 unit is driving both master and slave cabs. :roll:
BNGamesReviews
Please Continue...

Post by BNGamesReviews »

leonardoliveira wrote:Naomi 2 has two Holly chips (two GPUs) and two display DACs. It can obviously drive two displays at once.

It's well possible that one single Naomi 2 unit is driving both master and slave cabs. :roll:
Both units have separate Naomi 2's with their own GDRoms with the game etc. They are almost identical with the exception of the Transformer and the AC Plate.

Anyone know of a reputable Arcade Repair shop in Los Angeles by chance?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

BNGamesReviews wrote:
leonardoliveira wrote:Naomi 2 has two Holly chips (two GPUs) and two display DACs. It can obviously drive two displays at once.

Both units have separate Naomi 2's with their own GDRoms with the game etc. They are almost identical with the exception of the Transformer and the AC Plate.

Anyone know of a reputable Arcade Repair shop in Los Angeles by chance?
It could be the case that the power supply (it seems to be based on a AT PC power supply is enough to drive the two boards at once and that being why they have just one. Have you tested all features from the master side? That transformer could be there for lighting or it could be the insulation/safety transformer for both cabs.

Did you need to modify the wiring to make the master unit work alone?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I did this with a Star Wars Arcade Racer once.

Both units will have PSUs. It's a generic SUN one used in all Sega cabs from this time. The transformer is most likely an isolating one (it will say what it is on the sticker). At the back you will have leads for mains voltage, test, service and degauss buttons, credit input, coin counters and volume pots.
BNGamesReviews
Please Continue...

Post by BNGamesReviews »

I posted up a thread on /r/cade and someone posted this response
In theory, the cab can tolerate voltage ranges between 65-125v so plugging in the wires directly to a 110-120 outlet will not damage your cab. Because you cannot take into account any power issues or surges going through, the best approach is to obtain an arcade transformer that can output 100V @ 5Amps and attach this to a 10Amp noise filter connected to 120Volts. If your buddy is able to show you his cab, you will see the noise filter as well as the transformer behind the sound amp and in front of the force feedback PCB. If obtaining an arcade transformer with these specifications is not possible the transformer you are linking should work, just make sure that the amperage fits the range (5amps). If the amperage is too high, it will not work. I think the product you are showing only lists max amperage so it is hard to tell.

Here is the wiring diagram http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_M ... 20Wire.pdf Page 1 section 1-A through 1-E. Page 3 section 1-C through 1-E for the secondary cab. Let me know if you need additional information. I currently have this same cab (version 2) but only using the main cab and the secondary cab is disconnected.
drunkencat
Please Continue...
eBay: mario_pic

Post by drunkencat »

i got some id3 parts i uses when i converted a id3 master harness to work with id7 striped down cab im building did u try powering the sun power supply directly buy applying 120v ac to the 2 pin black and white wires on the back of the supply chances are its useing the master to switch the slave on chances ar u just need a jumber on the joining leads for the master cab harness
BNGamesReviews
Please Continue...

Post by BNGamesReviews »

drunkencat wrote:i got some id3 parts i uses when i converted a id3 master harness to work with id7 striped down cab im building did u try powering the sun power supply directly buy applying 120v ac to the 2 pin black and white wires on the back of the supply chances are its useing the master to switch the slave on chances ar u just need a jumber on the joining leads for the master cab harness

Sorry to bring up an old post, I had all but really given up on this but my financial situation is turing around and I am returning to this. I really dont want to try to screw with the wiring myself because im deathly afraid im going to fry it. Really id like to pay someone locally to get it working here in SoCal if someone was willing to try.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

If you look at the first photo - there is the PSU next to the Naomi. It has black+white wires coming out of the back with a small plug on them. This is where you need to put 100v mains voltage to power the naomi, and driver boards etc. Without looking at the wiring closer you will also need to find where the monitor powers up from