Final Fight graphical issues

PCB problems and fixes
armorharmer
Please Continue...

Final Fight graphical issues

Post by armorharmer »

Hi guys,

I bought faulty FF and dead King of Dragons (dead battery I guess).

When I plugged FF in, the graphics had a lot of glitches.

I was happyy to be honest! I though I could swap A board with Dai Makai Mura conversion that I have...
BUT I was wrong, when I did the swap, every sprite looked great, except for the text...

Here's Haggar's name:

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? B board? C board? Please help! I have a friend who can fix jamma board, but he nevered had a chance to fix any CPS board.

Thanks!
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Re: Final Fight graphical issues

Post by leonardoliveira »

If replacing the A board improved the situation, definitely the original A board from the Final Fight game has developed a fault.

Try the A board from Final Fight with your Daimakaimura B board and see what happens... 8-)
armorharmer
Please Continue...

Post by armorharmer »

leonardoliveira wrote:If replacing the A board improved the situation, definitely the original A board from the Final Fight game has developed a fault.

Try the A board from Final Fight with your Daimakaimura B board and see what happens... 8-)
Thank's for the answer!
Yes, A board on Final Fight is definitely faulty. It was same with Dai Makai Mura B board.
But I was wondering what could be wrong with B or C bord in order to display glitched fonts... All characters look grate, only fonts are glitches (and a small Haggar's picture in the left corner)...
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Unfortunately CPS-A-01 and CPS-B-xx chips fail way too often. I've seen them fail myself. And it's usually graphic issues what they cause.

Have you tried to check the graphics ROMs? If you check the graphics ROMs and they are working properly the fault will be on the CPS-A/B customs. :cry:
armorharmer
Please Continue...

Post by armorharmer »

Nope, I didn't check anything besides changing A board itself. Maybe I'll try to reseat B board roms.
But this raises another questions - I have never personaly had any board fail to myself, but I've been collecting for a year and a half right now. I don't know how will I take it :D Maybe I should consider GroovyMAME setup...
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

This issue is specific to CPS boards and only recently we started to see these chips fail this often. No reason to believe you would also have this exact same problem with Konami or SEGA boards, for example...
armorharmer
Please Continue...

Post by armorharmer »

OK thanks! If alot of boards die, maybe someone will come up with reverse engineered custom chip!