Help with a Zig Zag (Dig Dug boot)

PCB problems and fixes
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Help with a Zig Zag (Dig Dug boot)

Post by Stompp »

Knowing boots are generally frowned upon I still would like to try this one to work. I picked it up way back from starpine0027 on YJ as a Dig Dug. Should've known better :oops: According to the listing it was working but I doubt they had tested this actual board set.

I figured out that Zig Zag is based on the Gallag board set. If I'm not entirely mistaken the video board needs to be powered with both +5V and +12V (soldered in, no connector :problem: ) and the video out has to be taken from the 6-pin connector. And ofc I'll be needing a Gallag - JAMMA adapter instead of the Galaga I got :mad:

Looking for confirmation I'm moving in the right direction. I'm kinda in unknown territory here :(

Board photos (links to larger versions)
Image Image

CPU board
Image Image

Video board
Image Image
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Help with a Zig Zag (Dig Dug boot)

Post by Asayuki »

To see the video you only need +5V and GND. +12V is only needed for audio and you can add that later.
First of all beep with the multimeter from the jamma pins to the missing connector near the video output: that connector has marked +5V and GND so it's easy to identify +5V and GND with that. Anyway your Jamma pinout looks like GND, GND, +5V, +5V, SPK or +12V dunno, input, input, input, [...], input, +5V, +5V, GND, GND.
As for video, check which pins of that white connector are grounded by beeping them. The others ought to be sync, R, G and B. The latter three you can easily trace back to resistors. The only one that goes elsewhere is sync.
Let us know if you can manage to turn this boot on! :)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

any info in MAME?
Up the Irons!
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Hopefully I'll only have to wire it up correctly and not dig into MAME :) I'll poke the boards tonight :shifty:

Found the Gallag pinout over at Mike's: https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spi ... allag.html