What to do with my triforce?

PCB problems and fixes
maxisoft2
Please Continue...
eBay: Maxisoft2

What to do with my triforce?

Post by maxisoft2 »

Dear fellow Arcadees,

I've had a Sega Triforce laying around for a couple of years now, with many disc-based games and security dongles (Mario/F-Zero/VS). I can however only play one game, which is Virtua Striker 4/2006. All other games need their dedicated JVS interface and inputs.

Now, I wondered: Has nobody yet made something that allows you to play these games using a regular joystick + button controls? Sure, it would not be the real thing - but I tried sourcing the hardware (and even the cabs) to play it originally, and it is just too expensive or too big to fit my apartment.

Looking forward to your input!

Best,
- Max
Dache

Re: What to do with my triforce?

Post by Dache »

I don't think it'd be possible to play a driving game with sticks & buttons (at least not without extreme measures, mostly because of the analogue/digital divide), but you might be interested in MitsurugiW's Sega JVS Helper board, which'll let you use a PC steering wheel for those games so long as you have a Sega JVS I/O or the Capcom one.

The dedicated forum for it is here on Arcade-Projects, but you may need to sign up to be able to view it.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I'm working on a thingy that goes from USB controllers to JVS. Uses the USB inputs on a raspberry and the add-on board speaks with the game. The core software is pretty much done and works well.

Here it is connected to a raspberry zero:
IMG_0055.JPG
And a raspberry 3:
IMG_0205.JPG
Unfortunately, rev 1.0 will not be for sale as it turned out that there is simply too much variation between games to make a 'generic' on/off device for this - some games have the analog axis inverted, some only work with 8 bit JVS IO's etc etc.

A new rev is in the works which features a menu so you can pick which game you want to play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

maxisoft2 wrote:too big to fit
Did you...

try force? :whoopsie:
maxisoft2
Please Continue...
eBay: Maxisoft2

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hey guys!

Sorry for the late answer. I got myself a Sega JVS Helper board and managed to get some of the stuff to work - It is not perfect, but a good-ish workaround. Still, it kind of kills my OCD to have a old MOMO racing wheel mounted to my blast city's control panel ;P. Invzim, I really love your approach. Let me know as soon as REV II is ready to go - I'll buy it for sure!

... and yes, I tried the force. It was not strong enough :D

Best!
- Max