Raiden Fighters 2 (I think) PCB Help

PCB problems and fixes
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Raiden Fighters 2 (I think) PCB Help

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Going through a box of PCBs and came across a board I've had for a few years.
I bought it from somewhere in the UK circa 2008 (probably KC) when I was working in NZ, and had it posted to my mum's in the UK. When I went back to the UK I had totally forgotten I'd bought it, and when I fired it up it was dead.

And it's remained like that ever since. So I've had a look around and am totally stumped as to where to start.

The PCB is marked SYS386I Seibu Kaihatsu Inc, and the 5 ROMS have stickers with RF2 (PCM0/1 and FIX0/1/2) on - so I'm assuming Raiden Fighters 2.

So the most obvious thing I can see is that the PCM1 ROM is the only non-EPROM of the 5 and it has been modified, but I don't know if this is normal for this type of board.

Pin 1 of the ROM is lifted from the socket and a fly-wire has been attached an slotted into pin 31 of the socket. Pin 31 of the ROM has been soldered to Pin 32 of the ROM and inserted in the socket.
When I look on the solder-side the 3 pads for pins 30, 31 & 32 they look dull, but that could be due to the brown-ish coating (?flux) over them.

So I guess my questions are is the "modification" on the PCM1 ROM expected for this type of board? As the only socketed devices on this board are the 5 ROMs and a PAL should I even bother attempting this. I would have thought that if the ROM rewire was dodgy then I'd just not get sound, but the board looks totally dead.

John
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.