Understanding Sega Naomi

PCB problems and fixes
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...
eBay: Ask
Initials: SGG

Understanding Sega Naomi

Post by PurplePonyArcade »

I checked on a different thread and hope I can make a new topic without issue.

Okay. I have made plans to get a Naomi board at some point soon and wanted to ask a few things about that. I am very ignorant and wish to learn anything I can. I currently have a specific game board for the system, Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Achse. This game board is my very first piece of arcade hardware to ever have minus a few buttons and joysticks here and there and I am still very new to all of this. I was given a good idea of how to store the game board in the meantime but why I am here making this thread today is so that people so kind would share the info I need on the various things to buy to get it ready before buying a cab for it. The other thing I really need to know would be the most reliable sources to buy this sort of stuff.
Anything is appreciated and thank you all for your time.
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

Re: Understanding Sega Naomi

spmbx wrote:Have you read the wiki at http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Main_Page ? If so, is there anything specific that you're missing or you're not sure about?
Thank you, and as far as what I am not sure about there is a lot. Namely what I need besides the game board and main boards, whatever wires are involved and the most trustworthy sellers.
turntablism

Post by turntablism »

http://www.sega-naomi.com/faq.htm
the forum is gone :( but still some information about the naomi system
http://www.yodel-arcade.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/user/Fanaticcism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

turntablism wrote:http://www.sega-naomi.com/faq.htm
the forum is gone :( but still some information about the naomi system
I will still take what I can get so thank you.
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

OK, I can 't help on where to buy this stuff, but what you will need will depend on the cabinet you end up buying.

Obviously you're going to need a Naomi main-board, but I guess you knew that!

If you're looking at a JVS cab, then you probably won't need anything else. If you're going the JAMMA cab route, then things get more exciting.

Naomi uses 3.3V in addition to the usual +5V and +12V, so you need to sort this 1st, and as Naomi is JVS standard, you will need to get a JVS>JAMMA Adapter.

The simplest way to achieve both is to use a CAPCOM JAMMA I/O - I have no idea if these are still available, but it will supply all the required voltages (as long as you don't run a GD-ROM setup) and give you the JAMMA interface for the cab. From memory I believe it also has an amplifier for sound. These were (circa 2004 when I bought mine) very expensive, and no doubt are even more now.

The next option is the Sega JVS>JAMMA board. This will give you the JAMMA interface, but not the 3.3V power nor an audio amplifier, so you will need to source an amplifier and also a suitable PSU, which could be the SUN PSU which has the required voltages and connectors, but runs at 110V AC, or use an ATX PSU and get a power loom built.

There's probably other things to consider, but Power Audio and the interface will be the big ones to sort first. I'm sure others will have more up-to-date information for you.

John
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

dj_johnnyg wrote:OK, I can 't help on where to buy this stuff, but what you will need will depend on the cabinet you end up buying.

Obviously you're going to need a Naomi main-board, but I guess you knew that!

If you're looking at a JVS cab, then you probably won't need anything else. If you're going the JAMMA cab route, then things get more exciting.

Naomi uses 3.3V in addition to the usual +5V and +12V, so you need to sort this 1st, and as Naomi is JVS standard, you will need to get a JVS>JAMMA Adapter.

The simplest way to achieve both is to use a CAPCOM JAMMA I/O - I have no idea if these are still available, but it will supply all the required voltages (as long as you don't run a GD-ROM setup) and give you the JAMMA interface for the cab. From memory I believe it also has an amplifier for sound. These were (circa 2004 when I bought mine) very expensive, and no doubt are even more now.

The next option is the Sega JVS>JAMMA board. This will give you the JAMMA interface, but not the 3.3V power nor an audio amplifier, so you will need to source an amplifier and also a suitable PSU, which could be the SUN PSU which has the required voltages and connectors, but runs at 110V AC, or use an ATX PSU and get a power loom built.

There's probably other things to consider, but Power Audio and the interface will be the big ones to sort first. I'm sure others will have more up-to-date information for you.

John
I got to look up what much of that even is and means but I appreciate the info!
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

So between the Naomi and Naomi 2 I have heard some say the latter is easier to work with? Honestly though the Naomi 1 looks like the simplest and also looks to be cheaper to get by a few things I have seen.
STK
eBay: sinksurfer

Post by STK »

Hi,

Why not just get a Naomi Universal cabinet? It's definitely the easiest and probably the cheapest way to get all the stuff you need for playing your Akatsuki game board. Even if you don't like that specific cabinet you can always take the parts you need.
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

STK wrote:Hi,

Why not just get a Naomi Universal cabinet? It's definitely the easiest and probably the cheapest way to get all the stuff you need for playing your Akatsuki game board. Even if you don't like that specific cabinet you can always take the parts you need.
Maybe because I have never heard of it until you mentioned it. Thank you.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

STK wrote:Why not just get a Naomi Universal cabinet? It's definitely the easiest and probably the cheapest way to get all the stuff you need for playing your Akatsuki game board. Even if you don't like that specific cabinet you can always take the parts you need.
Unless OP is from the States. The US never got the Unis.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

I was in your shoes OP a few years back. The Naomi was the first arcade system I ever bought, now I am a proud owner of a Neo Geo MVS. Other than a JAMMA 60 in 1 board the Naomi was my first time getting into the hobby. Alot of the terms can be confusing and knowing what to get and what will work and how to wire them can require a bit of research. But it sounds like you are already in it for the trip and you posting here speaks to that.

Like the previous user said you will want to get a JAMMA to JVS I/O board if you plan on using your future Naomi with a JAMMA wire loom, thats the loom that wires all your buttons, speakers, RGB monitor etc. The Naomi uses the JVS standard which honestly is pretty nice, your video is in VGA and your sound runs through RCA, i used an old powered speaker amp from some pc speakers I gutted to drive my DIY bartop cabinet speakers because the naomi doesn't come with a sound amplifier on it. Regardless your gonna need an I/O board JVS style or JAMMA because the Naomi being a JVS system only communicates its buttons and inputs and outputs over a USB cable. But lets be real my opinion and likely alot of other peoples will be to get a JVS to JAMMA converter I/O, it just makes things easier at least to me.

As far as Jamma converter boards go, theres many to choose from, alot of people swear by the Capcom I/O's, if you can afford one they honestly are nice. I didnt take that route because money, and got a Sega 838-13683B I/O board. Just google the that part number in ebay or where ever and you will see it. Those boards are much more affordable and get the job done. They just dont have as many features as say the Capcom ones might have.

Your next thing as said before, Power, you can try your hand at finding and buying an orginal SUN power supply for the Naomi. Or just use a ATX computer power supply. You can mod the cable to have the JVS style power plug the Naomi needs, or other people make and sell ATX to JVS power converter cables. A word of warning is you want to make sure you use a power supply that supplies a solid 3.3v line to the Naomi. The systems really behave well with a solid clean 3.3 volts under load.

Beyond that theres also other considerations, do you plan to collect cartridges, or GD rom games? Or do you want to just play the games? Theres a wonderful thing about the Naomi NET Dimm boards, those are the network memory boards, where you can side load games into that memory board using something like a Raspberry PI and play all the games you want :D :awe: . Unfortunately im a sucker for having things gather dust on a shelf so I like physical things. But thats a consideration.
Also If you want to play GD-Rom games like I stated above you will need to buy a GD-Rom Drive and Dim Board (or net dim), that requires its own wiring and stuff.

You might also want to consider a Universal bios. That lets you play games from different regions all on one machine. I have yet to get one because its a fairly new mod but it sure beats changing the Bios chips out for different regions. !! :lol:

I hope you found that helpful. It really is a lot to take in at first but after the learning curve its a fun and enjoyable hobby, also can get expensive be warned.

I always liked Arcade Otaku we are real nice people, we hope you stay around! :D :D :awe:
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
PurplePonyArcade
Please Continue...

GeekMan1222 wrote:I was in your shoes OP a few years back. The Naomi was the first arcade system I ever bought, now I am a proud owner of a Neo Geo MVS. Other than a JAMMA 60 in 1 board the Naomi was my first time getting into the hobby. Alot of the terms can be confusing and knowing what to get and what will work and how to wire them can require a bit of research. But it sounds like you are already in it for the trip and you posting here speaks to that.

Like the previous user said you will want to get a JAMMA to JVS I/O board if you plan on using your future Naomi with a JAMMA wire loom, thats the loom that wires all your buttons, speakers, RGB monitor etc. The Naomi uses the JVS standard which honestly is pretty nice, your video is in VGA and your sound runs through RCA, i used an old powered speaker amp from some pc speakers I gutted to drive my DIY bartop cabinet speakers because the naomi doesn't come with a sound amplifier on it. Regardless your gonna need an I/O board JVS style or JAMMA because the Naomi being a JVS system only communicates its buttons and inputs and outputs over a USB cable. But lets be real my opinion and likely alot of other peoples will be to get a JVS to JAMMA converter I/O, it just makes things easier at least to me.

As far as Jamma converter boards go, theres many to choose from, alot of people swear by the Capcom I/O's, if you can afford one they honestly are nice. I didnt take that route because money, and got a Sega 838-13683B I/O board. Just google the that part number in ebay or where ever and you will see it. Those boards are much more affordable and get the job done. They just dont have as many features as say the Capcom ones might have.

Your next thing as said before, Power, you can try your hand at finding and buying an orginal SUN power supply for the Naomi. Or just use a ATX computer power supply. You can mod the cable to have the JVS style power plug the Naomi needs, or other people make and sell ATX to JVS power converter cables. A word of warning is you want to make sure you use a power supply that supplies a solid 3.3v line to the Naomi. The systems really behave well with a solid clean 3.3 volts under load.

Beyond that theres also other considerations, do you plan to collect cartridges, or GD rom games? Or do you want to just play the games? Theres a wonderful thing about the Naomi NET Dimm boards, those are the network memory boards, where you can side load games into that memory board using something like a Raspberry PI and play all the games you want :D :awe: . Unfortunately im a sucker for having things gather dust on a shelf so I like physical things. But thats a consideration.
Also If you want to play GD-Rom games like I stated above you will need to buy a GD-Rom Drive and Dim Board (or net dim), that requires its own wiring and stuff.

You might also want to consider a Universal bios. That lets you play games from different regions all on one machine. I have yet to get one because its a fairly new mod but it sure beats changing the Bios chips out for different regions. !! :lol:

I hope you found that helpful. It really is a lot to take in at first but after the learning curve its a fun and enjoyable hobby, also can get expensive be warned.

I always liked Arcade Otaku we are real nice people, we hope you stay around! :D :D :awe:

Very late. Thank you kind user.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

:P no problem
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance