Batrider sound problem :(

PCB problems and fixes
insertbuck
eBay: oldskoolman

Batrider sound problem :(

Post by insertbuck »

Hi peeps

Just received a Batrider today, freshly bought through eBay from a seller based in China... Price was really good for a Japan B version, and it was marked as fully working.
Unfortunately, the board does have a problem, as sound is faulty :oops: I checked the voltage, powered it on, and first I heard some crackling noises, then I noticed a sound problem : image, controls, and sound FX work fine, but the music lacks some sounds ! For example, you only hear the drums and voice, but the bass and synth is completely missing ! :oops:
When looking at the board, I noticed a repair work near the sound Amp : a piece of wire is linking a chip pin to a resistor as you can see in the picture below.
After powered it on again, the volume of music suddenly got very low, and I keep hearing some extra crackling noises !

Anyone knows where the problem comes from and if this is possible to repair, as the seller offered to pay for the repair work ?

Here is the extra wire from a previous repair, linking to a resistor:

On the back of the board, I notice these few scratches with some sort of glue, not sure if this is a repair:
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: Batrider sound problem :(

Post by Asayuki »

The crackling noise might be just a loose joint or the trimmer which is likely dirty inside.
As for the repair work, I see a lot of traces in there which are scratched. You might want to check those coming from the sound chips to the power amp; one might be scratched enough not to make contact. If you are lucky then it might a quite easy fix.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
insertbuck

Post by insertbuck »

Asayuki wrote:The crackling noise might be just a loose joint or the trimmer which is likely dirty inside.
As for the repair work, I see a lot of traces in there which are scratched. You might want to check those coming from the sound chips to the power amp; one might be scratched enough not to make contact. If you are lucky then it might a quite easy fix.
Thanks for the reply Asayuki, it appears one of the soldered pins of the volume pot got resoldered and it's not very clean... About that extra wire linking the chip to the resistor, I don't have the knowledge to figure out what's its use :(
ifog

Post by ifog »

insertbuck wrote:
Anyone knows where the problem comes from and if this is possible to repair, as the seller offered to pay for the repair work ?
http://www.jammarcade.net/repairers/
insertbuck

Post by insertbuck »

Thank you ifog.
Sound is here but something prevents it to output properly, so I made an agreement with VectorGlow who will take care of this repair work.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

I'm glad you found someone to fix your board. Let us know if those scratches were involved. ;)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
system11

Post by system11 »

Probably the op-amp, but do let us know.
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org