Boot or Original : Post original/bootleg PCB photos here.

PCB problems and fixes
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
AteThePrincess
Aliases: ReWrite on KLOV
eBay: isan725
Initials: ATP

Re: Boot or Original : Post original/bootleg PCB photos here.

Postby AteThePrincess » September 20th, 2016, 8:29 pm

leonardoliveira wrote:It's really curious that it has the original NANAO chips. :-o

I honestly don't know if it's a boot or not but the fake YM2151 ain't a very good sign. :wtf:

A couple parties have suggested it's a Korean version, but a couple parties have the opinion it's a boot. Not sure where this will go, but I'd like to get as many folks' thoughts as possible at this point I guess.
geotrig
Potato!
Aliases: geotrig

Postby geotrig » September 21st, 2016, 9:03 am

strange one alright , what does the boot screen show ,does it say something other than japan us etc ?. I'm Guessing the same as trk :problem: :( that its a Korean/ asian market or produced board,also the b board has dong elecktro descign corp so that leads me to this as well.. strange the non keying too :think:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
arttu
eBay: arttuy
Initials: AIY

Postby arttu » September 24th, 2016, 10:39 am

Fire Barrell ar ebay - I've been trying to buy this game for almost 20 years (I'd prefer the "Air Assault"-version) but haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172351222548

All eproms have blank non-official-looking stickers, no irem seal sticker etc .... there's no way this is not a bootleg ....or?
Asayuki

Postby Asayuki » September 24th, 2016, 1:51 pm

No original stickers and no heat sink for the power amp, but it has genuine-looking irem/nanao custom chips.
Yet sound chip and dac are not Yamaha original chips. Silkscreen text seems legit, and the original does not have brand names impressed on it either.
It might be a version for the korean market. If it's a boot then it's very nicely made to look like the original. I am not 100% sure.

For reference, the original on system11:
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
Jan
Bassline Crew
Aliases: Neo_Arcadia

Postby Jan » October 15th, 2016, 11:31 am

any ideas on this ? conversion of some sort ?

A paranoid schizophrenic walks into a bar...
Asayuki

Postby Asayuki » October 15th, 2016, 12:14 pm

My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
GeekMan1222
eBay: geekman2005

Postby GeekMan1222 » November 20th, 2016, 1:42 am

Picked this Metal Slug X NeoGeo MVS Cart recently, so is it orginal or boot?! I wanna say boot :eh: .
Seller says orginal. Came in a blue MVS case with a torn holo sticker, serials scratched off
Theres not many Toshiba branded roms and all the others have the 250 NGH# but no chip manufacturers name, the NGH's do match the master list.
And it doesnt look hand soldered but it may have just been a really good job at it. Like it looks factory other than those roms with no chip manufacturer

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vYlBdDKmd8OExKaEhhSXMyNU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vYlBdDKmd8Wmo2QV9YWXhBNWc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vYlBdDKmd8cjlZRVBzUGdObWs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vYlBdDKmd8djI0bXhOODA2dW8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vYlBdDKmd8Qms5dEkwMEpHZFk
Asayuki

Postby Asayuki » November 20th, 2016, 1:01 pm

AFAIK, blue is the correct color for an original Metal Slug X MVS.
Apart from the scratched serial numbers, everything in your picutres suggests an original cart. Whoever built this cart had access to legit SNK PCBs, toshiba branded ROMs with the right program code (in case you consider toshiba branded stuff as original; personally I don't consider "toshiba branded" as a requirement) and could afford the high volumes required for custom programmed or masked chips with laser marking.
If it's a boot, it's incredibly well made.
The original, for reference, here: http://mvs-scans.com/index.php/Metal_Slug_X
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Postby Asure » November 20th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Certainly original. The Altera matches. That's unique to this board & was never cloned :)
GeekMan1222
eBay: geekman2005

Postby GeekMan1222 » November 20th, 2016, 6:04 pm

Awsome !! I just started collecting neo geo games so when the scans said toshiba for the roms but these didnt i got a bit worried. Im glad it really is an orginal! Got it for a decent deal to :)
FcoBenitez
Aliases: Kabal2X
PSN: KabalistaUSA
Initials: KBL

Postby FcoBenitez » December 7th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Wonder Boy PCB, I suspect it's a boot. I need to set Dipswitches to Continue: ON but... no dipswitches?? WTF is this crappy job?

I think my english is not most bad ever
Asayuki

Postby Asayuki » December 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Boot.
If you can't find the dipswitches at the bottom left corner of the board, under the patch board, then some "clever god of electronics" tought of fixing once and for all the problematic loose joints which plagued his game. Needless to say, he didn't need any other settings other than those which maximised his profits. :)
Hopefully he didn't cut of f*** up any trace, in which case it should be an easy fix.
FcoBenitez

Postby FcoBenitez » December 7th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Thanks Asayuki. I've just desoldered the problematic wires, but can't test right now - I'm in the process of making an adapter. But besides the inabity to change dipswitches, this board worked OK.
FcoBenitez

Postby FcoBenitez » December 7th, 2016, 11:03 pm

It's working great now! Continues on ;)
The board has a strange behavior in that, sometimes when turned on, it displays most of the sprites mirrored AND cocktail mode, but just like internet routers, you just turn it off and on again, and its working great :lol:
Stompp
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Postby Stompp » February 24th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Anybody with a legit Steep Slope Sliders who can verify if this one's a boot or not? The case label didn't seem odd and the art/manual all looks legit but once I got the bit for opening the cart and saw MX IC's I got suspicious. Also some of the solder joints on IC's 11 and 12 looks shady :problem:

Please click the thumbs for larger photos. Thanks in advance :)

Image Image Image Image
Asayuki

Postby Asayuki » February 25th, 2017, 1:22 am

This is Radiant Silvergun, as taken from the interwebz:

The first thing that hits the eye is the custom in the bottom right not being sanded, but rather proudly marked; including a specific sega part number.
The two GALs on the bottom center, replaced on yours with two 74LS373 TTL ics, are also imprinted with a sega part number.
Note also how Sega had branded mask ROMs. On your picture the Macronix 29F16 flash memories are manually numbered with a pencil.
And let's not forget the number of layers!! As the expert eye can see on the original Sega board, the PCB is definitely 4 or more layers. Your cart, on the other hand, has very likely just two. Due to this, the power distribution strategy on the board is entirely different. Finally, the font used on your board to apply the PCB part number is different than the stroke font used for everything else. This might mean that it has been added at the last minute before rendering the gerber files. on Radiant Silvergun instead the same stroke font is used. And by the way, the only sega part number that can be seen around is the PCB model.

Although I don't own any ST-V game, I would still definitely consider the board you posted as a bootleg.
Stompp

Postby Stompp » February 25th, 2017, 9:54 am

Asayuki wrote:Although I don't own any ST-V game, I would still definitely consider the board you posted as a bootleg.

Thank you for yout insights. You're basically confirming my suspicions. What bugs me it the case/label looks legit and the art and manual definitely are legit :problem:

EDIT: if anyone's got a legit SSS cart please post a few photos of the PCB for comparison.
Stompp

Postby Stompp » February 26th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Ok, so I posted about the SSS cart on another forum (for using a PC term :shifty: ) and initially I got the same response but then this was posted by one member:

I personally doubt this is bootleg. I see no way how bootlegers can get this game hacked - such type protection chip decryption alghorythms was RE'd not a long time ago, so I dont know how bootlegers was able to get decrypted data chunks for this game.

I tend to think this is some early game cart, then mask roms was not yet manufactured but developers run out of time, so they reused flash rom boards. have seen the same in the case of many other Sega games.
indeed, scratched chip looks very suspicious, perhaps they want to hide shame fact same security chip(?) was reused in 3 games :)

"regular" rom board is very different, there is Mask ROMs stamped "Sega MPR-something", not Flash ROMs like this one have.

And it makes sense. It's not a high value game. The encryption didn't get RE'd until lately. The cart label I'd say is legit to almost 100% certainty. I'm starting to lean toward it actually being a genuine albeit early version.

I'll be shipping it to someone who will dump it.
nem

Postby nem » February 26th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Stompp wrote:RE'd

Reverse engineered ;)

Neat find. It pays off going through your games looking for minute details.
Stompp

Postby Stompp » February 26th, 2017, 5:12 pm

nem wrote:
Stompp wrote:RE'd

Reverse engineered ;)

Neat find. It pays off going through your games looking for minute details.

Yeah, nerd lingo deluxe ;)

Return to “Game Hardware Q&A”