Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

PCB problems and fixes
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

Post by MitsurugiW »

leonardoliveira wrote:I really lol'd with the sound bits at the start of the video. :awe:
I was waiting for someone too f'cking notice that!! lol

You are a sharp one, Leo. ;)
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

What's a good email to reach you guys to arrange for the sound fix to be done? I have a couple of the kits I'd like this to be sorted out on.
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...

Post by MitsurugiW »

kazuo wrote:What's a good email to reach you guys to arrange for the sound fix to be done? I have a couple of the kits I'd like this to be sorted out on.
Join our site and contact us there. We'll fix you right up.

Arcade-projects.com
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Yep, will send mine too. Have to dig it out from the cab first. :)
darksoft
Initials: PFG

Post by darksoft »

We had two cases where user could see bars on the screen like only half of the graphic roms were being plugged.
Like this:
Again it was solved by formatting the microSD and copy the files again to the microSD. Make sure you try this always when troubleshooting your Kit. Hopefully everybody should have it up and running if you have any trouble having it running, remember we'll be glad to help you.
Arcade Project Master at www.arcade-projects.com
bartre
Please Continue...

Post by bartre »

okay, so I believe i have my board all set up to go!
just one thing before i hit the sack (can't test it until tomorrow :( )
what do I need to add to the SD card aside from the files provided here?
IE - 19XX has files .01,02, 03, 05, 07, 09, 11

additionally, with the reset wire installed does the board automatically reset once flashing is done?
or do I need a switch?
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...

Post by MitsurugiW »

If you install the Avalaunch files it's all you need. If the autoreset wire is installed the pcb will reset.............automatically. :P
bartre
Please Continue...

Post by bartre »

great!
so with battle circuit (batcirdm)
i should have 7 files, and the NAME file?
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...

Post by MitsurugiW »

bartre wrote:great!
so with battle circuit (batcirdm)
i should have 7 files, and the NAME file?
yes
bartre
Please Continue...

Post by bartre »

Okay, all tested.
I've got a revision 4 board with a g pal set up
Wire running from pin 9 on the pal to the connector.
I'm getting some audio mismatch though.
Is this something I need to send to you, or do I have the pal wrong?
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...

Post by MitsurugiW »

Make sure that pin 9 is out of the socket. If that is correct then one (or more) of your audio jumpers is/are wrong.
bartre
Please Continue...

Post by bartre »

MitsurugiW wrote:Make sure that pin 9 is out of the socket. If that is correct then one (or more) of your audio jumpers is/are wrong.
Okay, run the wire direct between the chip and the connector then?
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...

Post by MitsurugiW »

bartre wrote:
MitsurugiW wrote:Make sure that pin 9 is out of the socket. If that is correct then one (or more) of your audio jumpers is/are wrong.
Okay, run the wire direct between the chip and the connector then?
Yes. Remove pin 9 from the socket and connect it to J17 of the main kit pcb with a wire. If the sound does not clear then you most likely have a jumper incorrect or maybe a broken kit pin.
darksoft

Post by darksoft »

Hello!

I'm working on a new version of the firmware that will update compatibility with the microSD Cards and avoid any problems with big sized microSD.

TO EVERYBODY that had a problem with the MicroSD and that succesfully solved it by reformating the microSD, can you please PM me with SIZE, BRAND AND MODEL of your microSD.

I'm also working on a new version of the firmware that will auto update the firmware in the microprocessor directly from the microSD!!! This is something quite time consuming, so I'm not sure when/if that will be possible.

Look forward to your feedback.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

That's sounds great..! Perhaps I'll hold off a bit longer with sending my kit in for the sound fix and get this done at the same time :think: (if that's ok?!)
darksoft

Post by darksoft »

denson wrote:That's sounds great..! Perhaps I'll hold off a bit longer with sending my kit in for the sound fix and get this done at the same time :think: (if that's ok?!)
I'm not sure still if it will be possible to implement autoupdate, due to ARM memory size constrains. So...your call. Memory card support improvement will depend on your feedback. All the cards I have work well....so far noone provided feedback on their problematic card. C'mon guys this is for you.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

My sd card worked fine from the outset, no problems with the kit whatsoever :D except the sound crackle of course ;)

Ok, perhaps I'll think about getting it sent over to you for the sound fix then. Been a busy Christmas with a newborn, so haven't found the time! :wtf:
darksoft

Post by darksoft »

denson wrote:My sd card worked fine from the outset, no problems with the kit whatsoever :D except the sound crackle of course ;)

Ok, perhaps I'll think about getting it sent over to you for the sound fix then. Been a busy Christmas with a newborn, so haven't found the time! :wtf:
PM for details.
hitspark
Please Continue...

Post by hitspark »

Recent purchaser of the CPS2 Multikit, and I thought I'd spend a few moments to share the experience in case it can be of some use. I'm very impressed by the work that has gone into it, and while my installation wasn't exactly smooth, but once its working, its amazing. So, here's my story:

- Owner of 8 or so CPS II boards. One suicided about 4 years ago due to a battery replacement failing: an Asia Super Street Fighter II. Of all the boards to go, that was the one I cared the least about (whew!) so it was the perfect thing to have happen, setting me up for this install.

- Opened the sucker up, found I have a rev 3. Ordered the kit + G PAL. Arrived promptly from PAS, very pleased.

- Jumper config had me doing about 17 or so cuts/solder bubbles. Seemed to go smoothly.

- Putting on the boards was a bit stressful but I managed it. Either a pin tip broke in shipment or something happened. Soldered a wire, no biggie.

- GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH.

- Freaking out. This mod was relatively easy compared to some of the insane stuff I've done. Google Fu... Not much to go on.

- Re-seated boards 3 times. Checked all pin connections from top to bottom. Used half a dozen different micro SD Cards. STILL GREEN SCREEN.

- I'm desperate. I'm thinking I must have a bad A board or something. But I don't have another ASIA A Board to test. Contemplating murdering one of the poor blue USA CPSII boards on my shelf. That prototype of Capcom Sports Club... awfully juicy... I open it up. I have the battery in my hands, ready to rip it out. I can't do it. I'm a wuss.

- Made some calls to my former boss who had a MVSF suicide and ask him if I can borrow/commandeer it. He says yeah, but he's out of town so I'll have to wait for a while, like weeks. Fazed, but not totally taken over by the Satsui No CPSII Hadou, I start google fu-ing again.

- Find a post mentioning something about not using the B-Board lower shell, and shorting the EXC5 (capacitor?). I'm out of options so I pull the board out and not expecting anything, I touched a wire to the 3 pins of EXC5 for 30 or so seconds.

- Powered up board. OMFG IT RUNS. But garbage graphics!

- Changed SD cards. Reload another game. GARBAGE IS GONE!!

- Very happy. Pull board out for a couple of minor mods that add some more controls to the setup. SUCCESS!

So, given this experience, I'd say you really need to sticky-post or put in the guide thread or pdf manual: "IF ITS *really* NOT WORKING, TRY SHORTING EXC5!! Also, mentioning that the power should be off when doing that (I found another post stating that once I started to google EXC5). I ended up soldering a button to EXC5 that shorts it whenever I need to do it, JUST IN CASE IT EVER HAPPENS AGAIN.

I also did another cool mini mod. A 4-pin extension off the display PCB, so I can wire up real buttons to choose and select the game to load:

I had some extra DDR control panel parts, they made great up/down arrows; the red button confirms game selection, the white button is the service/menu switch. Its a lot more fun to be able to whack real buttons to do the menu stuff. :D The setup I have has 2 control panels (its a Atari Showcase 33 fighting control pedastal semi-attached to a Primal Rage prototype), so it works out really nicely for the CPSII display. No offense, but those long tact switches feel really unsatisfying to press for some reason. By next week, most of my buttons should be lit up. I'm excited. :3

Yay! Thank you so very much to darksoft and MitsurugiW for all your efforts. This thing is like a dream come true!

So, any chance of you guys making a CPS-1 version...? (that I don't have to become a French citizen to enjoy?) :D
coolmod
eBay: hyperneogeo

Post by coolmod »

A new Progear CPS2 Hack with a bunch of new things! Will be a great addition to the CPS2 library.(This is not CPS2 Multi ready, but hopefully the creator will make it so)

http://halfwaytohell.gameordie.com/

http://halfwaytohell.gameordie.com/inferno/dante.zip

Check it out!