CPS2 battery life and replacement

PCB problems and fixes
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Re: CPS 2 Battery replacement advice

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:while trying to remove the battery from my SFZ2 board something (bad, i guess) happened.
:palm:
MrSandman wrote:Now my question: How bad is the damage that was done (I guess by tomorrow night I should find out if it killed my board)? Can it be fixed or was this the last battery change this board has ever seen? :cry:

Many thanks.
Not the end of the world! You've probably made it slightly more difficult to replace the battery in the future, but you can scrape away some of the lacquer from the tracks marked in sexy hot pink, then bend the axial pin of the battery over and solder to that:

ImageImageImageImage
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

idc wrote::palm:
Please, have mercy, I was dying 1000 deaths when it happened :crazy: .
idc wrote:Not the end of the world! You've probably made it slightly more difficult to replace the battery in the future, but you can scrape away some of the lacquer from the tracks marked in sexy hot pink, then bend the axial pin of the battery over and solder to that:
Hi,
thank you for taking your time to dispel my worries (the board is not dead as I found out the next morning :awe: ).

I am not sure if I understood properly what you suggested to do; the "sexy hot pink" area on the right of the picture is where I messed up. The surface starting from the soldering hole along the trace (?) lifted like I was peeling a banana.

Should I remove this peel?
Would a picture help?

Thank you.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

MrSandman wrote:Hi,
thank you for taking your time to dispel my worries (the board is not dead as I found out the next morning :awe: ).

I am not sure if I understood properly what you suggested to do; the "sexy hot pink" area on the right of the picture is where I messed up. The surface starting from the soldering hole along the trace (?) lifted like I was peeling a banana.

Should I remove this peel?
Would a picture help?

Thank you.
A picture would help. Don't remove any of the trace until we know you have some left on which to solder. We should be able to jump to another point on the board also, if absolutely necessary.

Problem with this is that the solder of course holds the battery in place. You don't want it flapping around all over the place!

If it does die, at least you can still phoenix it I suppose...
ImageImageImageImage
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

Will provide pictures asap, most probably weekend.

Thanks idc.

By the way, could you also please help me with a multimeter problem?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

No worries. :)
MrSandman wrote:By the way, could you also please help me with a multimeter problem?
Probably better to start a separate thread for that, to prevent it from getting lost in this thread. I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. :)
ImageImageImageImage
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

MrSandman wrote:Will provide pictures asap, most probably weekend.
Thanks idc.
The 'damage' can not be seen clearly on the pic, so I assume it's not much of a problem.
This is just to 'close' my subject an not leave it 'open'.
Thanks to all for your help
LWK
Please Continue...
Initials: LWK

Post by LWK »

Haha, I just did about 5 battery's yesterday for the first time. My Alpha/Alpha2 and Marvel vs SF never had replacement's but survived. Yet my Marvel vs Capcom died, which stinks because I paid the most for it back in the day. Sorry to bump a old post, but I thought I'd add that information in there.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

CPS2 Battery - Shelf life?

Post by Spectre »

So I finally got round to replacing the battery in my x-men board yesterday... original maxwell battery dated september 1993! :awe:

Anyway, I'd been "meaning to get round to it" for so long, the "new" battery is dated 2001 and I have a few of these. I've read that these lithium batteries have a shelf life of 10 years... what exactly does that mean in noob speak? The battery will last 10 years on the shelf before it begins to die on it's own? If the maxwell battery had been going since 1993, surely this 2001 replacement has got to be better, or should I put my 2001 batteries in the bin and order new ones? My understanding was the battery isn't used when the game is running, so the more you run the game the longer the battery life, and that battery life once installed and in-use was thought to be around 5 years.

Sorry for the slightly stoopid questions, just want to get my head round this and as you can see I have very little understanding of how batteries actually operate :shifty:
NASguy

Re: CPS2 Battery - Shelf life?

Post by NASguy »

the new battery life is 3-5 years when it's in the board, wouldn't trust batteries from 2001 at all... a shelf life of 10 years means you want to use it before that for best results, they could only have 30% power by now. batteries do drain on the shelf, just takes longer.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

At £5 a battery, I'd buy a new battery...

They are very low power/low usage hence your 1993 example, but why take the risk and possibly end up having to get it phoenixed?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

NASguy wrote:the new battery life is 3-5 years when it's in the board, wouldn't trust batteries from 2001 at all...
More like 5 to 7 years on the board, based upon my own boards and the general consensus on here and elsewhere. But yeah, definitely wouldn't use the batteries from 2001. The manufacturers claim shelf life when unused is 10 years, and one would assume that would be the best-case scenario.
ImageImageImageImage
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

idc wrote:
NASguy wrote:the new battery life is 3-5 years when it's in the board, wouldn't trust batteries from 2001 at all...
More like 5 to 7 years on the board, based upon my own boards and the general consensus on here and elsewhere. But yeah, definitely wouldn't use the batteries from 2001. The manufacturers claim shelf life when unused is 10 years, and one would assume that would be the best-case scenario.
5-7 makes me happy. I just had an Alpha 2 given a fresh battery and I was only told 3-5, even better.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Hmm, ok will order some new batteries at some point. I'm not too uptight on phoenixing anyway if needs be, hence the 17 year old battery I took out! If it dies it dies, especially if it's green as phoenixing means I gain an english text option. This one is blue though so a new battery is cheaper and easier.
vasilas432
eBay: katzurak

CPS1 & CPS2 battery handle.

Post by vasilas432 »

Hi guys, I am new at Capcom PCBs and would like to take opinions how the battery works.
A friend of mine told me that these lythium batteries have specific life. They don't charge.
Their life is extended if the PCB is in use. If it's in use 24/7 then it extends its life for that time. If its life timeline ends then it dies.
I have a Sigma Raijin and it's not possible to use these games more than normal playtime.

How do you guys handle your PCBs equipped with a suicide battery and how long you leave the same batteries?
Are there any batteries that last for as many years as the factory Maxwell ones?
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: CPS1 & CPS2 battery handle.

Post by Devil Soundwave »

vasilas432 wrote:Hi guys, I am new at Capcom PCBs and would like to take opinions how the battery works.
A friend of mine told me that these lythium batteries have specific life. They don't charge.
Their life is extended if the PCB is in use. If it's in use 24/7 then it extends its life for that time. If its life timeline ends then it dies.
I have a Sigma Raijin and it's not possible to use these games more than normal playtime.

How do you guys handle your PCBs equipped with a suicide battery and how long you leave the same batteries?
Are there any batteries that last for as many years as the factory Maxwell ones?
If it has an original battery still, change it soon as it will be well past when it could fail by now. Then, for safeties sake, replace it every 2 or 3 years.

Alternatively, just deliberately suicide the board and Phoenix it so you don't have to worry about it.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

as ds said , Its an easy job to do every couple of years tbh ,i dont know the life of the other battery but people change them every 2-3 years after the factory one to be safe

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

Conclusion, every 2 years it's ok to replace the batteries.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Every 2-3 years seems pretty frequent.

Are replacement batteries really that much worse than Capcom's?
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

pubjoe wrote:Every 2-3 years seems pretty frequent.

Are replacement batteries really that much worse than Capcom's?
I have the same question and that's why is this thread opened.
There are Maxwell batteries from a site in Singapore but not sure if they last so many years as the originals.
vasilas432

Post by vasilas432 »

Phoenixing would be ok if the worst happens but to send any board for phoenixing is super costly if you include shipping and time cost.