Namco System 12 Tekken 3 Problems

PCB problems and fixes
Bangulo
Please Continue...
Namco System 12 Tekken 3 Problems

Post by Bangulo »

I am working on a Tekken 3 pcb that i received from ebay as is, when i first got it all the system would do was flash green, i noticed that many of the surface mount capacitors on the cpu board have broken or fallen off, So i Re-soldered the proper caps and fired it up hoping for a new result but did not, I am still getting the flashing green screen seems to even remain the same when i fire it up without the rom board, I am kinda lost as to where to look now, I've checked for broken traces i found a few that looked dodgy but had continuity, I also noticed that the LA4705 : Sanyo LA4705 15W 2-Channel Power Amplifier seems to not be getting warm, I haven't hooked up sound yet i am just trying to get the thing to boot but i threw that in there just in case that would help, I also tested the leads to the amp and its getting a proper 12v well 11.8 to be exact

I've tried finding some technical documents but info for this board seems scarce, any help would be appreciated!
LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Re: Namco System 12 Tekken 3 Problems

Post by LegoYoda »

I've got a working board I can take photos of / show for comparison if you need it (and the manual in PDF). If that's any help at all please shout.....
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
Bangulo
Please Continue...

Post by Bangulo »

i just received a Namco system 12 board that said it was unknown, But with mame dev ive been able to figure out the board is tekken motherboard with Tekken Tag rom board so of course that one wont fire up as well, But now i do have a pair of rom board and motherboard, I have tekken 3 Ver A motherboard but i do not know the Version of the rom board, My question now would be can you mix a tekken A mother board with a tekken 3 B rom board? I am not getting any video so i think thats a no, But i would love to know from someone with experiance in these boards,
Last edited by Bangulo on August 30th, 2014, 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bangulo
Please Continue...

Post by Bangulo »

LegoYoda wrote:I've got a working board I can take photos of / show for comparison if you need it (and the manual in PDF). If that's any help at all please shout.....
I really appreciate your offer to help But with an additional board here i think i am fine i also found the pdf, Unless yours has a schematic? thanks!!
Bangulo
Please Continue...

Post by Bangulo »

Just bumping this, i havent messed with these in a while but was hoping maybe someone has worked with these?
KyRol
Please Continue...

Post by KyRol »

My question now would be can you mix a tekken A mother board with a tekken 3 B rom board? I am not getting any video so i think thats a no, But i would love to know from someone with experiance in these boards,
I do not think so. Please refer to 99 line of MAME docs. There is written clearly that Mother board contains sound ROMs, and program ROMs. In result without soldering I do not think that could it be possible. I would not sacrifice such board with such issue. Until some propitiatory IC is not damaged, there is no reason to destroy PCB with an issue. In my opinion is better to investigate further. Refer to MAME docs which I mentioned above, check on your own which (if any) components are overheated.

Regarding NS12 in MAME docs also is written that NS12 is capable to operate in 31kHz mode, so if you own or have an access to old CRT or even LCD with VGA connector, then you may check output image using another interface. I would rather sniff between GPU unit and RGB/VGA output - that is what I would do at first.