Getting 31kHz out of Namco System 12

PCB problems and fixes
colourthief
Please Continue...
Getting 31kHz out of Namco System 12

Post by colourthief »

Does anyone know how to get 31kHz out of Namco System 12 boards? And do only certain games support it?

I've got an Aqua Rush board, which I can hook up using all the JVS power/input/audio/video connectors, however it's still outputting a 15kHz signal. The service menu isn't giving me any options for it either. I can select between composite and separate sync signals but that's it.

Are the DIPs used for anything? Does the VGA port used (there are 2) make a difference? Just spent some time fiddling with various permutations without success. Hopefully someone can shed some light on the matter.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Getting 31kHz out of Namco System 12

Post by cools »

Its 15k only. Having a DB15 connector means nothing
DJ Long Cat

Post by DJ Long Cat »

cools wrote:Its 15k only. Having a DB15 connector means nothing
I thought there were SOME games that used 31k.

If your game isn't outputting it already then it most likely can't.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

The question about Sys10/11/12 31KHz comes up quite regularly. It's PS1 hardware, and will run 640x480 interlaced, but I've never found any evidence that it can run in 31KHz
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

I'm sure i had tekken 3 running in 24khz in the cyberlead?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Yeah I'm pretty sure some if not all support 24KHz but definitely not 31KHz.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Fairly sure there's no 24KHz either - I'd love to be proved wrong about this though.
DJ Long Cat

Post by DJ Long Cat »

cools wrote:Fairly sure there's no 24KHz either - I'd love to be proved wrong about this though.
Tekken tag runs at 24k I'm fairly sure. I've worked with the board and up-scaling it.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

I've got a tekken 3 - 15khz only AFAIK. I think it's the VGA connector + MAME stuff that throws people off.

If ANYONE has a pic of system12 running anything other than 15khz, I would love to see it.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
colourthief
Please Continue...

Post by colourthief »

invzim wrote:If ANYONE has a pic of system12 running anything other than 15khz, I would love to see it.
Seconded. I know I mentioned 31kHz specifically but I've only ever seen 15kHz progressive (not even interlaced).
KyRol
Please Continue...

Post by KyRol »

It is good that this topic is popular, but informations contained here seems to be misleading. I'm very big enthusiast of Namco System 11 and 12 boards but unfortunately they are made as worst propitiatory ****. No documentation, no schematics, servicing is very scary because these boards are full of custom ICs among of all other protective ****. That is the pain and that is reason why we have here only theory. I hear one youtuber which told that these boards work in 24kHz mode. Here, as you see, some members say that these boards operates only in 15kHz mode only.

You know what? I will add my word to all of that. I think that NS12 is capable to work with 31kHz. Why? Well, see 188 line in MAME docs. Proof? Well I saw a movie. The image does not look like 15kHz or 24kHz, because we rather would see much bigger dots in such range. Here is close up which I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqLCqCMDoeg

Is it true? I do not know. But I have SNUC (Sega Naomi Universal Cabinet) from European distribution. These units contains CRT which is capable of 31kHz only. So when I assemble it (I have to clean it first) then we will be 100% sure.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

Way to resurrect :)
tekken3_sync.png
This is a logic analyzer capture from the tekken 3 PCB, as it has some interesting things going on during vertical sync that is relevant to a project I'm working on.

15K only I'm afraid..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
KyRol
Please Continue...

Post by KyRol »

If there is mistake in MAME docs, then someone should contribute that. I have got multisync LCD which works with 15, 24 and 31kHz (NEC AccuSync 72VM - it has very close specs to that), it shows up active mode. Oscilloscope reading does not satisfy me at all. We do not know condition of operation exactly for now. Maybe is enough to plug VGA cable and boot the game, then output signal will change frequency? Maybe JVS have to be used instead of JAMMA? Who knows. It is mystery because it's not documented nor anywhere proven.
gomados
Please Continue...
eBay: gomadosnitro

Post by gomados »

Sorry for refloating this post but i have tekken tag pcb and in my opinion the only thing you can do about resolution is change between 256x224p to 740x480i resolution both 15Khz on the 3 interfaces 1 jamma, 2 VGA.
To do this just push switch test menu, enter the first option DISPLAY TEST, and you can see option Non Interlace change with left or right joy from Non Interlaced to Interlaced,or betther said 256x224p - 740x480i.