KI sound problem - Help appreciated

PCB problems and fixes
PikkaKO
Please Continue...
eBay: summ412

KI sound problem - Help appreciated

Post by PikkaKO »

I have a Killer Instinct board that I bought a while ago from eBay and it's giving me "sram error!!! can't setup credit interupt". Does anyone here have any knowledge on this problem?

It would be nice to know if this is an easy fix and how to locate the problem? The board was pretty dirty when I bought it so could that cause errors? Also I have a CF hd and an any IDE boot rom.

Btw I'm pretty new with these so I might need a noob explanation :D
Last edited by PikkaKO on December 5th, 2012, 9:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Re: KI Sram Error - Help appreciated

Post by davewellington »

What repair equipment do you have?
all your wiki pages belong to me
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Well only a multimeter at the moment. But I can get other equipment if needed. I'm not an expert in desoldering just for the record. :P

Edit: By the way this guy has the exact same problem as I have: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=87689"
Someone suggested it might be the boot rom but I have the original that came with the board and my any IDE and it's giving me the same problem with both of those so I'm thinking it's not that. Then maybe one of the srams. But how to detect it?
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

You need a logic probe or oscilloscope at the very least. If you don't plan to become an expert in repairers, it's probably better to send it to someone to take a look at.
all your wiki pages belong to me
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Ok. I thought if I found the problem myself I would let someone else do the fixing job. So if it's only like 1 sram that's causing the error it would be easy just let someone else to desolder a new one.

So if I get a logic probe is it likely to locate the spesific sram that's causing the error?
ReplicaX
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Post by ReplicaX »

PikkaKO wrote:So if I get a logic probe is it likely to locate the spesific sram that's causing the error?
Start with a logic probe and grab the datasheet so you have a pinout of the SRAMs. Honestly a multi layer board with some SMT components like KI isn't an easy start for someone new to repairs.

http://www.arcadecup.com does specialize in KI 1 and 2 repairs and also does SS upgrades, but is located in the US...
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Vewlix L AMI | Medieval Madness RE
Arcade Tech since 1994
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Hey! I got this repaired at a local repairs shop yesterday. There was a bad sram (same one that the guy suggested at the page i linked) that had to be changed. Now the sounds are causing problems and there seems to be multiple bad sound eproms. Can you change the eproms from a Killer Instinct 2 board to KI?
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Re: KI sound problem

Post by PikkaKO »

Ok I tried changing the sound eproms with another original KI ones but it didn't do anything.. So my problem is that there is no music and some of the sounds are garbled. Also some sounds are messed up.. Characters might have the wrong voices and when it shoud say "Killer instinct" in the intro it says "Chief Thunder". Any idea how to fix this problem?

Here's a video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvsqMj-iCTY&feature=plcp"
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Re: KI sound problem - Help appreciated

Post by PikkaKO »

Got my motivation back to try fixing this. So I did what was suggested in the "My game is broken, what do I do?" topic and I tried the amplifier legs with my finger and the two legs to the left (in the picture) made sound but the two on the right didn't. Any help or further tips?

Spacemx
Please Continue...

Post by Spacemx »

Hello,

Did you repaired your pcb killer instinct with sound problem? if so, how did you do it? i've got exact the same problem. Thank you in advance. Any help will be appreciate it.
Last edited by Spacemx on April 4th, 2017, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Still having the same problem and haven't had time to check the board lately. I did some probing with a multimeter, found one dry joint (one of the srams) but fixing that didn't help. If you manage to repair this please let me know. I will get back to it when I have time.
Spacemx
Please Continue...

Post by Spacemx »

Problem solved.

You should check the audio CPU (ADSP-2105 KP40). Reflow the soldering of the connection pins of this circuit to the PCB.

In my case it worked to perfection. I also did the same process with all the integrated circuits ALTERA near the main cpu.

I hope it works for you too.

Repair log available here.
http://foro.arcades.mx/viewtopic.php?f= ... afacc09674

Greetings.