Espgaluda, no sound

PCB problems and fixes
rtw

Re: Espgaluda, no sound

Post by rtw »

What I don't get is why the PCB does not enter setup ? Which test switch are you using ? The brown one is to reset NVRAM, the silver/black marked SW2 should enter setup IIRC.

As for sound, stick a scope on pin 1 (closest to JAMMA connector) on the amplifier at location U3 and see if there is any activity.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... A1519.html"
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

kernow wrote:Check the 'FS Raiden PCB' over at ng.com
Good reminder of why I avoid the site. Full of arrogant ****.
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

Hewitson wrote:Good reminder of why I avoid the site. Full of arrogant ****.
****! That's a new word for me. :lol:

Still funny. :lol:

Sorry, back to TOPIC, PLEASE!
Up the Irons!
Animaitor
Please Continue...
eBay: aitortxo
Initials: AGR

Post by Animaitor »

rtw wrote:What I don't get is why the PCB does not enter setup ? Which test switch are you using ? The brown one is to reset NVRAM, the silver/black marked SW2 should enter setup IIRC.

As for sound, stick a scope on pin 1 (closest to JAMMA connector) on the amplifier at location U3 and see if there is any activity.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... A1519.html"
Hey rtw, thanks for taking the time to check this. I was using the test switch from the cab, not the switch from the PCB. Pressing the SW2 button does the same thing as the cab's test switch, the game freezes.

As for checking the TDA1519, all I have is a multimeter (digital but not with auto-ranging functionality) and only used it for tracking continuity. Doing what you suggest might be trivial for most but my knowledge on the subject is very, very limited. Don't really know how to check any activity on that pin and properly use the info from the link. I assume I need to turn on the cab for this? On what should I set the multimeter dial to? :oops: Hope I can manage to do this with a little help or link to some kind of tutorial.

Just checked so to corroborate as someone mentioned before and was right, the game doesn't start with the memory check routine but with "This game is for use in Japan..." screen so that is a normal behavior.
rtw

Post by rtw »

What is the voltage on your PCB ? Measure while the PCB is powered 5V & 12V

As for lack of scope, if you have a broken headphone try splitting the wires and connecting them to pin 1 & 2 on the AMP.
trmatthe
-

Post by trmatthe »

The corrosion you mention on the chip in the audio section (I suspect it's an op-amp which is intimately involved in the game's audio) and the battery make me immediately think of battery electrolyte leakage. There are very few reasons a game of this age should have oxidation on the IC legs, but battery corrosion is a much more likely fault.

Unfortunately I don't think you are setup to investigate this one much further. You really need an analogue oscilloscope so that you can trace the audio stage and quite possibly inject sound/swap out some of the audio ICs to check that any leaking electrolyte was properly neutralised. Can you borrow a scope?

On balance though, given the almost-working nature of this board and its value I'd be considering sending it off to one of the PCB guys on here unless you fancy trying your hand. Bear in mind many of the commercial guys are understandably reluctant to work on something somebody else started hacking on.

Sorry it's not better news, but at least the game has a pretty good chance of getting back to 100% in the right hands.
Animaitor
Please Continue...

Post by Animaitor »

Well, thanks to both of you. I don't think the problem is related to the power coming from the cab as Ketsui works fine. I also checked Espaluda on 2 other cabs with the same result.
rtw wrote:As for lack of scope, if you have a broken headphone try splitting the wires and connecting them to pin 1 & 2 on the AMP.
By doing this, am I supposed to get audio from the headphones? If I do, what's next?

As for the battery leakage, how come a battery that is so far away from the chip with corroded legs can affect it? The corrosion was there, very little but there was something so obviously there must be a reason.

The board is in pretty good shape overall and trmatthe is right, before I do something stupid, I should send it to someone who con get a good look at it and fix it. Do you guys have an estimation of the repair costs for such audio problem?
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:As for lack of scope, if you have a broken headphone try splitting the wires and connecting them to pin 1 & 2 on the AMP.
Which one is + and which one is -?

Somewhat off topic:
I'd like to bypass the PCB amp on some of my own games, that's why I ask.
rtw

Post by rtw »

@trmatthe, I agree even if sound is discovered going into the amplifier more knowledge is needed to get it to work. Send it to your favourite repair guy.

@emphatic, pin 1 is signal and pin 2 is ground according to the data sheet.
Animaitor
Please Continue...

Post by Animaitor »

rtw, only static comes out from the cab speakers when I connect the headphone cables, one to pin 1 and the other to pin 2. Nothing from the headphones. I don't think I can try anything else as I don't have access to a scope. Repair shop, it is!
rtw

Post by rtw »

Animaitor wrote:rtw, only static comes out from the cab speakers when I connect the headphone cables, one to pin 1 and the other to pin 2. Nothing from the headphones. I don't think I can try anything else as I don't have access to a scope. Repair shop, it is!
@Animaitor, fingers crossed that the repair shop can solve this.

@emphatic, take my 1 & 2 pin with a grain of salt, for what I know CAVE might be using the other input to the stereo amplifier :D
Animaitor
Please Continue...

Post by Animaitor »

I know of a place in Bilbao that can repair PCBs. They've been doing so since the 80's. Minimum charge for taking the board and I guess basic repair, 50 euro. I'm going to Japan next week and will stay in Tokyo for a whole month. Do you guys think is better to bring the board with me and try to fix the board there? I heard CAVE charge a lot for repair jobs but I can take it to some other repair shops as well. Mind you this game cost me 135 euro...
Last edited by Animaitor on May 9th, 2012, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:@emphatic, take my 1 & 2 pin with a grain of salt, for what I know CAVE might be using the other input to the stereo amplifier :D
I'm not trying this on a CAVE game, it's a Solomon's Key bootleg without working sound.
Edwin128
Please Continue...

Post by Edwin128 »

rtw wrote:@trmatthe, I agree even if sound is discovered going into the amplifier more knowledge is needed to get it to work. Send it to your favourite repair guy.

@emphatic, pin 1 is signal and pin 2 is ground according to the data sheet.
Hello. I'm resurrecting this post.

I got a pgm mobo, which is the same hardwared as the Espgaluda pcb. It boots into the games without graphics problems, but it does not have sound at all.
Without a game in the boot screen, the same no sound.
I cannot see any capacitor that is obviously bad in the sound area in the pcb.
If I use some speakers I got sound from the input pin (number one) in the amplifier TDA1519, but the sound in the output pins is too quiet and has a humming.

Any idea what can be the issue? maybe a bad capacitor? or the amplifier is broken?

Cheers, Edwin.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Sounds like a broken amp to me.
Edwin128
Please Continue...

Post by Edwin128 »

nem wrote:Sounds like a broken amp to me.
Hi. Ok, I will buy a new one plus the caps around and replace it to see how it works.

Thx, Edwin.
Edwin128
Please Continue...

Post by Edwin128 »

hi. i replaced the amp, but the problem remains. Also I replace 4 caps connected to the amp, but no change.

the problem must be somewhere else. any idea where to start looking?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Unless you have and know how to operate an scope, I think you'll just have to work yourself down the line from the amp a component at a time. Someone more knowledgeable can chime in on what precedes the amp. Op amps?
caius
eBay: private
Initials: FAB

Post by caius »

Edwin128 wrote:
hi. i replaced the amp, but the problem remains. Also I replace 4 caps connected to the amp, but no change.

the problem must be somewhere else. any idea where to start looking?
If you say you have sound on inputs pins 1-9 of the TDA1519 and nothing on his outputs pins 4-6 and youlready a replaced the amplifier, then the problem is in the amplfier circuit.If you look at TDA1519 datasheet, you can see there is also a MUTE (pin 8), I suggest you to check this part of circuit starting from pin 8.
caius
eBay: private
Initials: FAB

Post by caius »

nem wrote:Unless you have and know how to operate an scope, I think you'll just have to work yourself down the line from the amp a component at a time. Someone more knowledgeable can chime in on what precedes the amp. Op amps?
OP-AMPs are usually used before main amplifer, he said the sound is present on input pin 1 of the amplifier so we can rule out them.