Where to get universal audio amp heat sinks

PCB problems and fixes
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Where to get universal audio amp heat sinks

Post by capcomguru »

I have a couple PCB's that don't have a heat sink on the audio amp, but should. They clearly have screw mounts on both the amplifier and PCB, as well as the space allocated silk screened on the pcb. It was more than likely repaired at some point, and the heat sink discarded. Are there universal sized heat sinks that can be used as a replacement?
JAMMArob
Please Continue...

Re: Where to get universal audio amp heat sinks

Post by JAMMArob »

Not all boards have them. I have some that have the mounting holes, with no heatsink installed.

Check for photos of the same boards online to verify if yours need one. Also, monitor the temp of the amp itself.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

I confirmed that both PCB's in question should have them and do not (caveman ninja and night slashers to be exact). They both appear to be just bent metal, but I'm sure its gotta be some sort of alloy that can disperse heat easily. I'll keep an eye on the temperature. I recall them getting pretty warm, but not very hot to the touch. I'm more concerned for support stability of the audio amp.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/img/pcb/nslasher.png
http://www.mameworld.net/maws/img/pcb/cninja.png
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Any off the shelf heatsink would do.

If you can't get 1 big one, then you could use a couple of small ones instead one for each chip.

The Megadrive i've just taken apart has a large piece of what looks like a soft metal alloy for the 2 voltage regulators.
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

dj_johnnyg wrote:Any off the shelf heatsink would do.

If you can't get 1 big one, then you could use a couple of small ones instead one for each chip.

The Megadrive i've just taken apart has a large piece of what looks like a soft metal alloy for the 2 voltage regulators.
Nice, thats a good good idea. I've got plenty of dead pcb's in the graveyard. I'll grab a couple off of those.

Cheers
channelmaniac

Post by channelmaniac »

If you don't find anything suitable, let me know... I can comb my pile o'boards.

I also have a box full of aluminum scrap I can dig through. I save all the aluminum parts from floppy drives and boards I scrap out for parts. Next week I'll send it to mom's with the kiddo. They like to recycle aluminum and go have fun with the money.

RJ
I'm a cheap ****. I learned to repair things to save money... even surface mount soldering!

My repair logs have moved to here. Enjoy!
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Thanks RJ, I'll keep you posted.