JVS Motherboards

PCB problems and fixes
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

JVS Motherboards

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Hi All,

Just throwing a quick query out there about JVS motherboards.

I have a SUN PSU, and the only JVS kit I have are Naomi & System 573.

I have just finished modding one of my Mushi cabs to JAMMA using the SUN PSU, and have sucessfully added a -5V line to the cab. I have used the 2 top unused pins on the JST connectors for the -5V pins, and since I use extension cables for my JVS kit, I don't have the -5V going to it.

My query is, if I was to mod some SUN PSUs to have the -5V, is there any equipment that has the unused pins going somewhere?

Looking on the back of the Naomi filterboard, the top unused pins don't go anywhere, but the bottom 2 go to ground. The System 573 doesn't have pins in the unused ports, so I just wondered if any other stuff might suddenly get **** by having -5V shoved through a terminal it shouldn't go through.

Thought I could offer a -5V mod for members, if there is any interest.

(I can make up +5 to -5V units for addition to any PSU if anyones interested - like the negatron, but probably much cheaper)

Cheers
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Re: JVS Motherboards

Post by invzim »

Why, would anyone want -5 V on the JVS connectors? There is no "native" equipment that can use it anyway - so cable hackery would be involved anyway.

Also, even if the pins are not used on some platforms, they are all defined, and a mod would thus be in violation of the JVS standard:
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Re: JVS Motherboards

Post by dj_johnnyg »

I'm using a JVS PSU in my JAMMA Cab, and needed the -5V for older JAMMA stuff.

Didn't realise that the "unused" pins were meant for 2.5V, so thanks for that info!
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.