Weird black pixel 'line' on left side of screen?!

PCB problems and fixes
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Weird black pixel 'line' on left side of screen?!

Post by skykid »

I only just noticed this after putting the game on after a long time. Unsure if it's been there before, but this seems weird.
On Mushihimesama, I get this pixel thin, black band on the left of the screen. It fluctuates, and runs up and down depending on the brightness of the display.
The brighter the image, it recedes toward the bottom, allowing the line of graphics to appear, but when things get darker, it creeps back up the screen, wobbling about near the centre. Thats in game brightness, not screen brightness - so if the screen goes white, it reduces etc.

Here's what it looks like:

It's isolated to this one side, and no other games have this as far as I can tell. What I've also noticed is that on this left hand side, where this little black line keeps fluctuating, the screen itself appears to be darker down the side. Please check out these comparisons:

Left side with the black line, and oddly darker edge:

And on the right hand side, it's all perfectly crisp:

This darker side also seems to be affected, reducing with on screen brightness.
Anyone else have this game and notice the same thing? Please help, what's happening to the left hand side of my mushi board, does anyone recognise this problem? :cry:

Thanks for all of your help guys!
;)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Weird black pixel 'line' on left side of screen?!

Post by SuperPang »

Put another PCB in (CPS2 or something generic), bring the V-size in a bit, center it with V-pos, put mushi back in then adjust the positioning options in the test menu, then stretch it out again. SH-3 has some unusual sizing issues, it may help to compensate with the software adjust as well as the pots.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

This is a Cave SH3 thing - I get the same with Death Smiles. Unless I have it taking up about 2/3rds the screen (no good!) I get the flickering scanline as you show.

Pang's suggesting of adjusting the positioning seems to be the solution here (and worked for me, and IIRC Markedkiller78 a while back) - I found moving it down by 1 pixel in the software adjust took care of it perfectly on my Egret II.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Interestingly, not an issue on the MS8
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Brilliant stuff guys, thanks so much. I've never heard of this happening on the SH3 hardware before but at least I know the board isn't up the spout.
I actually never had this before, so its weird that it can suddenly need re-adjusting.

I did actually try adjusting the V and H pos by twiddling the buttons on the cab, but it didn't make any difference.
I'll try Pangs meth of swapping boards, bringing it in, and then flipping to the test option to straighten in back out when I get home from work. Thanks again folks!

;)
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

SuperPang wrote:Put another PCB in (CPS2 or something generic), bring the V-size in a bit, center it with V-pos, put mushi back in then adjust the positioning options in the test menu, then stretch it out again. SH-3 has some unusual sizing issues, it may help to compensate with the software adjust as well as the pots.
Hmm, I did what you said - didn't quite do it though.

I popped in progear, and shrunk the screen right down so it sat in the middle, turned off the cab and plugged in mushi. After boot I went to the test screen and adjusted so the grid was centred and then exited out. I used the pots to bring the screen back to full size but once I did, it reappeared.

It's not the end of the world - as long as the boards not faulty I can scroll it off - but was there anything I did wrong. Does it usually take a few goes?

Thanks Pang!
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

skykid wrote:I popped in progear, and shrunk the screen right down so it sat in the middle, turned off the cab and plugged in mushi. After boot I went to the test screen and adjusted so the grid was centred and then exited out. I used the pots to bring the screen back to full size but once I did, it reappeared.
You need to adjust it in software - just move the image left by two or three places in the operator menu in Mushi, then resize the image as normal - that should do it.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Yeah, I can't remember how exactly I did it but its possible
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

hiya tom

things i would do first...

1)go in to the test menu(you need to hold the test switch down for 2-3 secs to get in to a cave test mode)
2)when in test default it all and start again as if the board brand new. if its second hand the board could be set to another persons monitor.
3)then go into the cross hatch in the test menu
4)with your remote board for the monitor move the image inwards about a inch each side top and bottom
5)then start moving the image out wards and trying to keep it perfect at the sides and top of the screen

the pixle line should be fine now i have found with MS8/MS9 monitors if you move the picture image with the sticks in the cross hatch mode you sometimes have what you have in the first post.i use the movement in caves test cross hatch menu for tweeking the picture but never to move the picture alot.

cheers richard
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

just go into the test menu and then go into the dot hatch screen and offset the screen a bit to the right with the software, not the adjustors for the cab...just use the joystick.....then exit out and see if its fixed....

if not go back and offset it a bit more

ive had this problem with every SH3 board so far.....and only recently found out how to fix it thanx to rtw....this fixed the issue on all my SH3's...including mushi and futari 1.5
on the loose