monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Capture from Jamma?

Post by monouchi »

Anyone tried and got good results?
What set-up are you using?

I want to capture my runs but havent found a good solution yet. I tried a RGB->video converter plus a USB-capture device to the com, using S-VHS.
The results were not great as the sync seemed off, the capture device lose the signal when the pcb shifts between screens etc.

Im often watching the runs from "CAVE PCB" (Member here?) on youtube and those captures are really good.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Re: Capture from Jamma?

Post by mufunyo »

Cheapest option is a StarTech PEXHDCAP. If you don't have a desktop with PCI-e slots an alternative is the StarTech USB3HDCAP.

If you want high quality pixel perfect ("is this emulator?!11") capture use one of the Datapath VisionRGB line (E1, E2, E1s, E2s). Don't try to buy them new; they cost €800 and up. Instead, set up an eBay alert and/or search for "datapath" on eBay regularly. You should be able to grab a card for €150-250. Don't spend more than that on a second hand card, you get no warranty or support unless you can prove you bought from an official reseller. The VisionRGB-PRO is ancient, PCI/33 only, and doesn't support 15KHz capture, so don't get that either.

For all of these options you need a VGA break-out cable. The nicest way to do that is to get a JAMMA PCB edge, JAMMA edge connector, solder them together (so you've made a JAMMA female to male extender), and wire up the R, G, B, sync and video ground pins to a female VGA connector. Inside the VGA connector shell, put a series resistor directly on the R, G, and B lines (not on sync!). The value should be around 300 ohm. This will drop down the video voltage to ~approx VGA levels (0.7vpp). It's not exact by any means, but the auto level circuit in your capture hardware should take care of the rest. You can also tweak the contrast (gain) on the proc amp to dial in the brightness perfectly.
Ghegs
Please Continue...
eBay: ghegs
Initials: GHE

Post by Ghegs »

Like spmbx, I have a supergun and have captured direct footage from plenty of Jamma games the same way I capture from all my SD systems: DVD Recorder. Easy peasy and no hassle, other then burning the DVD and ripping for further processing, but that's a minor quibble.

Worth noting that if the game doesn't run at the TV standard 60hz or at least very close to it, then there might some problems (Raiden Fighters runs at 55hz, for example).
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum
monouchi
Polishing his shaft

Post by monouchi »

Thanks for the replys, that Startech thingy looks interesting.

Ive started with ordering a Sanwa VC-J2 that I will try to connect to my capture device, if that doesnt work then Ill guess I will have to try the startech one.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

I always wanted to try this setup: https://plus.google.com/113395628012237 ... yz66iTEFKd
A bit expensive, but the results are pretty good.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

I'd love to capture video from my cab but it all seems a bit to expensive. .

What would be the cheapest way if quality is not that important?
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

trev1976 wrote:What would be the cheapest way if quality is not that important?
An AD725 composite break-out adapter, and whatever cheapest capture device you can find.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Here's how I did it:

http://phillsarcade.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... r-cab.html

All I used was one of those JAMMA extenders, a scart cable, a breadboard and a handful of components. Total cost was about £20.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

phillv85 wrote:Here's how I did it:

http://phillsarcade.blogspot.co.uk/2014 ... r-cab.html

All I used was one of those JAMMA extenders, a scart cable, a breadboard and a handful of components. Total cost was about £20.

Nice one.. Thanks
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
monouchi
Polishing his shaft

Post by monouchi »

I did a capture test with the Sanwa VC-J2 pcb and a simple USB-capture device: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seLdJe ... e=youtu.be
The result with Ibara is ok for me and at work I can render the raw move with better quality before uploading it.

The big problem is the Arcade games different Sync. :(
SH3 works fine but Donpachi gets a pink/green border on the left side.....and DOJ/Gun Frontier doesnt want to sync at all. (No pic.)

Is it possible to fix the sync or do I have to look for a more advanced capture device?
Spork
Please Continue...

Post by Spork »

monouchi wrote:
Im often watching the runs from "CAVE PCB" (Member here?) on youtube and those captures are really good.

That's my channel. It's a series of correct steps as opposed to buying a magic device. If you skip any 1 step you'll probably hose the whole thing. I use a Dazzle USB converter with S-Video and RCA audio (not expensive at all). I use a homemade supergun that is basically homemade controls, power supply, Jamma cable with an RGB to S-Video converter and R/G/B knobs. Split the S-video with a Y-adapter into CRT tv to play and dazzle usb to computer to record. Convert Jamma audio to RCA with "car audio converter" and then split its output (will only be using 1 side of the converter) with an RCA Y-adapter to the tv and the L or R audio input on the dazzle unit. Turn down the RGB knobs on the adapter until it records with full detail (won't be as bright as you want but this is the only way to keep all the detail in the recording). Adjust the brightness etc. on your tv/play monitor up to compensate so it looks good while you play.

Use NCH Debut software to record with the lossless options for video and audio (Lagarith for video, and wave file full quality for audio). Record output files to a secondary hard drive (not C) to not drop frames. Set Debut options to deinterlace as it records and make small adjustment raises as needed to its brightness and contrast settings before recording, but don't go overboard, just go partially as far as you think. Import the file it makes into Sony Vegas and use that to trim and rotate and upscale it to 720p or 1080p when you output a file to up to youtube. Turn off any color changing options in the properties such as the RGB modes. Use the highest bitrate you can stand for video (like 30+ MB/s video for 1080) and maxed option for audio (normalize in track and change option to one channel so it comes out through both speakers in the output) and always, always use the 2-pass option no matter how much you hate the process wait (let it run overnight) in your output file options. I'm not going to do any tutorials on programs like vegas, I'm sure other people already have if you search on youtube, I just learned it all myself with experimenting.

About the sync, I have a JROK sync tiny pcb which helps in some cases but in some extreme cases like running older hardware like Guwange, you might have to "trick" a recording setup into working, which is where you boot up a newer game with normal refresh rate like CV1000, tell the software to start recording, then while it's recording power off the pcb, swap in the older board and boot it up while it's still recording and it works.

There you have it, every PCB recording trick in the book.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Spork wrote:
monouchi wrote:

That's my channel. It's a series of correct steps as opposed to buying a magic device. If you skip any 1 step you'll probably hose the whole thing. I use a Dazzle USB converter with S-Video and RCA audio (not expensive at all). I use a homemade supergun that is basically homemade controls, power supply, Jamma cable with an RGB to S-Video converter and R/G/B knobs. Split the S-video with a Y-adapter into CRT tv to play and dazzle usb to computer to record. Convert Jamma audio to RCA with "car audio converter" and then split its output (will only be using 1 side of the converter) with an RCA Y-adapter to the tv and the L or R audio input on the dazzle unit. Turn down the RGB knobs on the adapter until it records with full detail (won't be as bright as you want but this is the only way to keep all the detail in the recording). Adjust the brightness etc. on your tv/play monitor up to compensate so it looks good while you play.

Use NCH Debut software to record with the lossless options for video and audio (Lagarith for video, and wave file full quality for audio). Record output files to a secondary hard drive (not C) to not drop frames. Set Debut options to deinterlace as it records and make small adjustment raises as needed to its brightness and contrast settings before recording, but don't go overboard, just go partially as far as you think. Import the file it makes into Sony Vegas and use that to trim and rotate and upscale it to 720p or 1080p when you output a file to up to youtube. Use the highest bitrate you can stand for video (like 30+ MB/s video for 1080) and maxed option for audio (normalize in track and change option to one channel so it comes out through both speakers in the output) and always, always use the 2-pass option no matter how much you hate the process wait (let it run overnight) in your output file options. I'm not going to do any tutorials on programs like vegas, I'm sure other people already have if you search on youtube, I just learned it all myself with experimenting.

About the sync, I have a JROK sync tiny pcb which helps in some cases but in some extreme cases like running older hardware like Guwange, you might have to "trick" a recording setup into working, which is where you boot up a newer game with normal refresh rate like CV1000, tell the software to start recording, then while it's recording power off the pcb, swap in the older board and boot it up while it's still recording and it works.

There you have it, every PCB recording trick in the book.
Got pics of this wonderful setup? :awe:
Spork
Please Continue...

Post by Spork »

Not at the moment but it's mostly a mess of wires, I'm not sure how helpful pics would be. I just bought all the parts on eBay.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft

Post by monouchi »

Wow, thanks for the info Spork and thanks for an awesome channel, I watch it all the time. :)

I did some capture tests, here is one where I added scanlines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZiJ_zR ... e=youtu.be

Also, with a JROK sync cleaner I got PGM to work.
Spork
Please Continue...

Post by Spork »

Cool, hope it's helpful. If you like Ibara/Kuro/Pink Sweets you'll probably like my new project I'm releasing next month. I'll announce it here.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

I actually been really intrested in doing this my self. Anyone thought about using those Jamma Scart/RGB break out adapters floating around on ebay?
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance