Coin-operated games and arcades.
komidore64
Please Continue...
eBay: komidore64
Initials: AP

PSA - Always get a friend to help when [un]installing a monitor in your cab

Post by komidore64 »

Hello Otakus,

I've really enjoyed this forum over the months. Lurking has been my game since the beginning of 2017, and I've learned so much from your fine folks.

Now it's my turn to impart some knowledge. Learn from my mistake friends!

Always get a second person to help you when installing, uninstalling, or rotating a monitor in your candy cab. I know there's a few folks out there (maybe not in this forum) who'd talked about laying the cab on its back to let them drop the monitor in all on their lonesome.

Well, I tried that and I ended up tearing off one of the metal clips that hold onto the plastic monitor bezel on my Blast City. It happened yesterday afternoon and I'm still furious with myself. Thankfully that's the only thing that broke. It would've been much worse if i broken something on the monitor.

Unless you just really don't care about your cab, do yourself a favor: slow down, take your time, and be patient if you get a new cab to restore. Wait to get help putting that monitor in. You'll have more precision with two people than one.

I still have the clip, and I tried bending it back as close as I could get, but it doesn't want to fit back into the riveted plate. Am I SOL? Can you get these little clips anywhere? I'll be doing a bit more research before I give up and let it go.

Thanks for reading folks! Let's all work harder to take care of our precious machines and games!
Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Re: PSA - Always get a friend to help when [un]installing a monitor in your cab

Post by Mantrox »

An important lesson usually learned the hard way.
Breaking the neck of the tube would be worse, cheer up!
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

I usually just sacrifice my back for the well-being of my cabs. Have done it on my Donkey Kong, Jaleco Lo Pro, Aero City and Capcom Big Blue without incident. But, slowing down is definitely key. Pull it in and out sloooooooowly. Make sure all wiring and cables connected to the monitor are neatly zip tied to the monitor frame so they don't get hung up on anything. But, yeah, if you can get a second hand, that is always helpful...but most of the time these things have to be done and I'm not willign to wait a day...so just go ahead and wrench my back in the process. :cry:
qskint
Please Continue...

Post by qskint »

Does anyone know how much a Blast City monitor weighs?
Did you discharge the monitor?

I'm looking at picking up a candy cab very soon and will have to dismantle it to get it in.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

qskint wrote:Does anyone know how much a Blast City monitor weighs?
Did you discharge the monitor?

I'm looking at picking up a candy cab very soon and will have to dismantle it to get it in.
Around 35kg. It's not so much the weight as the unwieldiness of trying to place it exactly over the bolts to hold it. Sega candy monitors are on frames so it's a less delicate operation than on some other cabs.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

:pointup: this

Sega monitor frames are great. I had to strip down 10 cabs when I moved house in January as they wouldn't fit through the doorways, then reassemble them outside to be loaded onto a van.....on my own...

Needless to say I ached the next day.

I love this hobby sometimes :lol: