sega city cab - snk candy/pony style

Coin-operated games and arcades.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

sega city cab - snk candy/pony style

Post by jugemscloud »

looking at this cab has strengthened something that ive long thought regarding this early angular style of cab from snk (candys) and jaleco (pony 2 +3) that they were designed by the manufacturing company and not the games companies hence the similarities in construction and placement between all these cabs (particularly of note the foot rest, the raised surround for the monitor, placement/styling of coin box and pcb door and the detailing on the glass.)

the thing that ive always thought regarding the snk videogame in particular is that it IS the candy18 but there were different runs of illumination panels and cps hence the hodgepodge that we see, in particular the blue and white cp I always thought visually made more sense went with the blue and white illumination of the candy 18 and the RBY cp with the red and yellow illumination panel (video game).
Last edited by jugemscloud on August 12th, 2016, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: sega candy cab not on wiki - snk candy/pony style

Post by SuperPang »

Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: sega candy cab not on wiki - snk candy/pony style

Post by Shadolf »

This is a SEGA City.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Re: sega city cab - snk candy/pony style

Post by jugemscloud »

lol I checked the wiki as well vision must be failing me :oops:

amended the thread topic and welcome any input or thoughts on the matter of who actually designed these cabs as im sure its not an in-house thing for each company given the similarities and what people think happened with the snk candy 18/videogame
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Nah, I reckon its just variation and innovation on a theme. Rip off the good bits and add more.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

yeah I can easily see it as that as well cools but there is something in the similarities to me from looking at the pictures stopping me from fully agreeing with you, it could also be that they all went to the same manufacturer and submitted their own tweaked designs.

the case of the candy18/videogame is what is of real interest to me here though and clearing up if the videogame is/was its own entity (I believe there are no advertising documents or manuals available specifically for the videogame) as I picked up what was sold as a candy18 last year but when it arrived it had the videogame Illumination panel but the cp that's seen in the advertisements for the candy18 (the RBY one) but does not have the blue trim around the monitor on the cab shell that the pics on the wiki have which from the pictures available seems to be the only discernible difference to the candy18. though could be a case similar to that of the egret 2 and the yellow and green sticks and buttons being deemed as stock due to its depiction in official publicity (did populated control panels go out from the factory in this style from taito?)