Cabinets, Monitors, and Sunlight.

Coin-operated games and arcades.
segasaturn
Please Continue...
eBay: Chickennoodlespraypaint

Cabinets, Monitors, and Sunlight.

Post by segasaturn »

Hey!
I have been searching for a couple of days, on and off, about direct sunlight on cabinets and if anybody has had damages.
There are people that say its fine, and people that say the opposite. I am sure control panels and paints can yellow, but has anyone had any noticeable monitor damage from sunlight? I have noticed direct light in pictures of a lot of peoples game rooms.

This post on another forum kinda makes me worry a little though:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/64-direct ... light.html

The reason I ask is, I am planning to line a garage wall with some cabinets. If there was normal windows, I would just put something over them... But there is roof windows instead of regular windows. And my girlfriend does not want them covered because she likes the light. It doesn't seem like there has been any noticeable sun damage to anything in the garage... but I would still like to block UV rays as much as possible.

I suggested to her covering up the windows with white plexiglass so light would "glow" through... Which i think i have her convinced on...
Would this be smart though?? Or do any of you think the monitor and plastics could still be affected??
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Cabinets, Monitors, and Sunlight.

Post by nem »

The screen is phosphorescent and naturally light cause burn in from both sides of the glass. Would I worry about it? No.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I chuck a large fleece throwover, over my cabs if I am not using them for a bit, keeps off dust and sunlight.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Sure; film/dim them. But as ever I'd be more naturally annoyed by glare etc... I presume some kind of clever velux (angled) blind/roller isn't out the question or are the windows pretty massive?. After all being a garage I presume it's relatively unoccupied... so all those hours (during middle of weekdays?) blinds could be drawn anyways, thus cutting out 90% of the midday exposure (time) anyway?

Beyond that some kind of screen/wall like an office partition ...? ...might depend on angles/size..?

Not meaning to assign stereotypes, but I assume your gf doesn't likewise use the garage for hobbies - she just doesn't want it 'ruined' ?
segasaturn
Please Continue...
eBay: Chickennoodlespraypaint

Post by segasaturn »

bloodhokuto wrote:I chuck a large fleece throwover, over my cabs if I am not using them for a bit, keeps off dust and sunlight.
I currently have some towels over the monitors... But you don't get the same "feeling" driving into the garage and the first thing you see is toweled cabinets. :lol:
gray117 wrote:Sure; film/dim them. But as ever I'd be more naturally annoyed by glare etc... I presume some kind of clever velux (angled) blind/roller isn't out the question or are the windows pretty massive?. After all being a garage I presume it's relatively unoccupied... so all those hours (during middle of weekdays?) blinds could be drawn anyways, thus cutting out 90% of the midday exposure (time) anyway?

Beyond that some kind of screen/wall like an office partition ...? ...might depend on angles/size..?

Not meaning to assign stereotypes, but I assume your gf doesn't likewise use the garage for hobbies - she just doesn't want it 'ruined' ?
I'd say they're medium size skylight windows, kind of recessed, too.
I had suggested blinds or a roll cover, but she was bummed that it would take effort to reopen them and they would most likely remain covered. Haha.
Glare isn't much of an issue because by the time I get home, There isn't much sunlight left for the day.
She uses the garage occasionally for gardening stuff. She likes the natural light, but I don't care about it that much. I would rather have lightbulbs. I just have to please her. 8-)
I think I will try to make some cheap blinds and secretly install them and see if I can convince her on them. And if shes not about it, white plexiglass or filtered glass will have to happen!
I am pretty indecisive about things, so thanks for the help!