Planet Harriers

Coin-operated games and arcades.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Planet Harriers

Post by nem »

After several years I finally have Planet Harriers up and running (bought the control panel originally in 2011!). Since I know at least a few members here have this (codecrank, jase?), I thought I might as well get some discussion going.

I think Panzer Dragoon and Rez are some of the best games ever, so I went into this with pretty high hopes. After 10 or so credits, naturally I have no real verdict for it yet. Is it as good as the afformentioned games? Probably not.

I'm running it on an Export motherboard and the difficulty is currently set on Normal.

My first thought is that this game seems super cheap from stage 3 onwards.

The player character is huge and obstructs enemy characters and bullets, which is why I like to play in first person view. However, on the other hand, there's a huge emphasis on player movement and avoiding enemy fire, and playing in first person it can be hard to judge where the player character is in relation to the enemy bullets. I guess with subsequent plays this will be less of an issue.

However, what won't become less of an issue, is that if you get shot, the screen will shake violently. During this time it's very hard to see anything, which naturally leads to getting hit again. I've gone from five hearts to none in a matter of seconds.

There's three types of weapons at your disposal. A regular shot, a lock on and a bomb. I use the lock on pretty much exclusively. However, the lock on doesn't work on enemy bullets or item boxes (I'm still not sure if the regular weapon works on all enemy bullets). Bombs I try to avoid using at this time, because they don't seem to very plentiful. Saving them for later stages. Both regular shot and lock on can be fired at the same time, and I don't think there's any penalty for it (score or otherwise). There's a part in Stage 2 (in the forest with the yellow bubble mines) where there's a ton of enemies and item boxes where I hammer on the lock on while keeping regular shot on autofire.

Stage 1 can be no-missed pretty easily. Stage 2 has a few cheap parts and the boss can be somewhat tricky. Stage 3 though, bloody hell :wtf: From the fire breathing dragons to the charging turtles (?) to the absolutely ridiculous stage boss. Seriously, what the hell? (literally. It's set in lava caverns, so might as well be there) I have no idea how the boss should be tackled. I kept getting hit from below, from inside the turning structure. Maybe dive in right at the start?

Game is hard.

Does anyone know if the JPN version is any easier? Another thought that occurred to me is that since this is originally a 2P game, maybe the difficulty doesn't scale down to 1P? Anyway, early days yet, maybe I'm just super bad at it.

Game looks amazing though. Sounds great as well. Well worth the effort of tracking down everything. The sitdown cabinet, the control panel lower, the control panel upper, the motherboard, the ROM board, the analog joystick, the analog joystick amp board; all were bought from different places! :lol:
muddymusic

Re: Planet Harriers

Post by muddymusic »

I found exactly the same thing when I owned a cabinet, the game was really good fun up until stage 3 then it became a credit-feeding cheap deaths game, I tried and tried to get better but it seemed like the balance was completely unfair from level 3 onwards. That was the main reason I sold it on in the end, that and the fear of the Hikaru board dying.
Repro artwork supplier, pm or visit http://www.arcadeartshop.com
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

muddymusic wrote:I found exactly the same thing when I owned a cabinet, the game was really good fun up until stage 3 then it became a credit-feeding cheap deaths game, I tried and tried to get better but it seemed like the balance was completely unfair from level 3 onwards.
That's what I fear :(

I'll keep at it.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

I think Panzer Dragoon and Rez are some of the best games ever
Me too! Have you tried Child of Eden? For me it passed my hopes and expectations :awe:
I've only played through Planet Harriers once while I was in Japan, a buddy and I credit fed through the whole game. I remember it taking a lot of continues lol :P
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Put some more credits in to this.

Stage 3 is getting a bit easier. You can actually avoid of some of the cheapness. Before the star shop there's a bunch of **** enemies. Just scrape the right hand side wall and duck in to the moat! :lol:

Speaking of the star shop, every enemy you destroy with the lock on drops gold. You can also pick up gold coins from the stages and gold from item boxes. The more gold you have, the more stuff you can buy, right? WRONG! The more gold you have, the more the items cost! It doesn't matter if you play well or poorly. Thanks developers!

The stage 3 boss looks to be quite easy after all. Just duck in to the spinning thing. When you reach the bottom you have four life cases, and you can fairly safely blast all the enemy spawn from there.

I credit fed myself through stage 4. Oh god :lol: I might try setting this on Easy at some point to see if it makes any difference...
Chempop wrote:Me too! Have you tried Child of Eden? For me it passed my hopes and expectations :awe:
I have! Good game. I have no sense of rhythm so the whole scoring aspect of it was lost on me, but I still enjoyed it.
alberto1225
Initials: ALB

Post by alberto1225 »

lock more enemies and you can get more gold. You need enough gold to buy items and life. Also using bomb when mass enemies appeared, you can get lot of gold too.

good game but few people own it and talk about it.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I just noticed Uncletom put up playthroughs on Youtube.

Watching the vid, I see Tom is experiencing the same difficulties as I am (stage 2 above the water, stage 3 under the gates).

Tom, if you see this, what difficulty setting do you have your game on? I swear some of the projectiles that take half a heart from you take a full one from me.
RoZioN
Initials: ASH

Post by RoZioN »

I love the game, but yeah its hard. I have reached the 4th boss on one credit, once. Usually I die in the beginning of the forth stage.
The 5th level is just ridiculous