What Street Fighter games have you played?

Coin-operated games and arcades.

What SF games have you played?

Street Fighter
4%
Street Fighter II WW / SF2
8%
Street Fighter II CE / SF2'
8%
Street Fighter II Turbo /SF2'T
7%
Super Street Fighter II /SSF2
7%
Super Street Fighter II Turbo / SSF2X
8%
Street Fighter Zero / Alpha
7%
Street Fighter Zero 2 / Alpha 2
7%
Street Fighter Zero 3 / Alpha 3
7%
Street Fighter EX
5%
Street Fighter EX2
4%
Street Fighter III New Generation
6%
Street Fighter III Giant Attack
5%
Street Fighter III Third Strike
8%
Street Fighter IV (includes Super and Ultra)
7%

Total votes: 869
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

What Street Fighter games have you played?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I think we need more polls. So let's start with some Street Fighter. What games in the "main" series have you played? Original boards, MAME and console ports all count if you've actually sat down to play them. Just trying a game out quickly doesn't count this time, and let's forget about handheld ports and other questionable versions like hacks etc. It's your choice if you count playing the game all alone in the darkness of your basement or if versus play is necessary. So, vote for every game you've kicked some **** in.

I had to leave some games out because of the poll limit, but I believe I put the most important ones in. For example Zero 2 and Zero 2 Alpha are similar enough, SFZ3 Upper is close enough to SFZ3, and same deal with the EX series's installments. And I lumped all SFIV games into one, as I assume 99% of the people who play them move on to the newest version.

It would be nice if you could explain why, how and when you've played the ones that matter the most to you. I could not fit in "Other" so if you want to vote for something that didn't make the list go ahead and just mention it. But bringing up SF The Movie isn't even remotely funny. :awe:

See? I made the joke already. :whoopsie:
Emulation's nice when done well
RMRM

Re: What Street Fighter games have you played?

Post by RMRM »

I am a miserable Street Fighter player (well, i suck at any fighter), but i like the series and own a couple of them.

My favorite is definitely Third Strike, love the sprites, the game play, everything.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Started out with SFIIT on the SNES, then played that and some earlier versions in the arcade back in the day.

I got SSFII on the SNES, then it got nicked.

I didn't fancy picking up SFA at the time and generally went on a SF hiatus until SFEX on the Playstation, which really got me back into SF and gaming generally. I then got EX2 and played some EX at arcades in London.

EX series in the only one that I can pull off cancels and super cancels on, although to be fair the game is not so strict on timings.

Subsequently I got a PCE, Saturn and DC and picked up SF1 the alphas, SSFIIX, SFIICE, SFIII (NG, DI & TS).

I got a PS2 and played the poor EX3.

On the PS3 I got SFIV and SSFIV, but have never really gotten into that series - although I have had some fun on Ultra at the HOG.

It's difficult to choose a favourite! I love them all pretty much, even if I am pretty poor at them.

*As an aside, back in the day I got a SFIIT strategy book that got nicked, I loved that book and have always wanted to get it again, I think it had a red cover and lots of those frame screen shots. I've looked around but can never be sure as to which one it is. I would love to have it again.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

12 out of 15 :problem:

Missing EX, New Generation and 2nd Impact.
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

Street-Fighter 2 WW to Turbo in the arcades. Then with Super on the SNES.
Played Zero2/3 on my mame-arcade - I liked Sakura. :)
Played Turbo on my cab a lot.

Thats it.
AE is not on the list, so I will not talk about it. It never existed. It is my main SF2 right now.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I started with Super Street Fighter II on the PAL Megadrive. Before that I had seen some commercials on MTV but had not pulled a shoryuken in my life. I played mostly that and the crappy DOS port of Super Turbo until Alpha came out for the PAL Playstation. From Alpha I moved onto Alpha 2, but before I got to try Alpha 3 I managed to get a copy of KOF '98 on the Playstation. Thanks to that I went on a few years of hiatus from Street Fighter and Capcom fighters in general. It wasn't until CVS2 came out for the PS2 in PAL-lands that I played Capcom stuff again and then started collecting all kinds of fighting games instead of just playing nothing but '98.

I've tried the first Street Fighter on MAME ages ago, but playing on the keyboard doesn't really count does it? I've played WW, CE and Turbo on the Playstation compilations for a couple of hours but I never really got into them. I've played the arcade EX games enough through emulation to say I really like them, and I played all the SF3 games on the Dreamcast and spent a couple of weeks in Hong Kong getting my butt kicked in 3S. But after all these SF games and losing interest in CVS2 and KOF '98 I eventually found myself playing SSF2X on MAME/DC. Played that for three years (best game ever) until my MAME machine died. After a year or so without a proper MAME setup I bought a supergun but... ...I still haven't purchased any SF boards. Mainly because SSF2X is no fun in single player, so there's no point. Now I've gone back to '98UM on STEAM.

So that's my history. I should play WW properly at some point. Oh, and I've never tried any iteration of SFIV and plan to keep it that way. :problem:
ninn wrote:AE is not on the list, so I will not talk about it. It never existed. It is my main SF2 right now.
Sorry ninnermanger, but the polls have a limit of 15 options. AE is basically a re-release, so...
fluxcore
Please Continue...

Post by fluxcore »

EX3 is about the only one I *haven't* played, I think!
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Only sf2, not sure if ww or ce. Always wanted to get into the alpha series or 3s because the graphics are fabulous, but apart from a few quick games i havent played them
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Being 36 years old means that by law I should've played ALL SF games, but I pretty much stopped playing properly at ST.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I'm really surprised at the amount of people who have played the first game. :wtf:
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I have noticed a lot of people on this forum are in their mid-30's at least. I used to play it in the Sunny-Holt arcade in Burhnham-On-Sea. I remember seeing 2 guys play it at the same time, both on the P1 side and complete it. One was mashing the fireball motion and the other guy was tw4ting the punch button to do a Hadouken..
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stevearcade
Please Continue...
Initials: STE

Post by Stevearcade »

I've played them all! Although, obviously I've played some more than others. Most played would be 2CE, Super 2 Turbo/Grand Master... and 3 IIIrd Strike.
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

Guess we are ignoring the rainbow/kyoryu editions huh which is a bit of a shame as they financially inspired CAPCOM to question their R&D into making something up to take back some earnings. There are two versions of SF the movie, I prefer the console versions as they stuck with the sturdy ST formula and Akuma/Gouki's hair is realised in real life.

I prefer SF2 CE with the dictator redizzy combos, love how the cps1 sounds too.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

arcnl wrote:Only sf2, not sure if ww or ce. Always wanted to get into the alpha series or 3s because the graphics are fabulous, but apart from a few quick games i havent played them
You must correct this! I love the Alphas, the third is a great, fun game with tons of characters to choose from. I also really love 2 as well, never really appreciated the differences between 2 and 3 until recently.

The first game is ****, I own it on the PC Engine, but it is rarely played.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

I've still never even seen(in real life), let alone played either of the EX games! Something I'll try and correct in the future. Hyper Fighting is probably still my most played game of all time, closely followed by ST and Z2A. Third Strike has also been getting some love over the past year 8-)
TheRedKnight wrote:I'm really surprised at the amount of people who have played the first game. :wtf:
For some reason, I've got vivid memories of stopping at a motorway services many many many years ago, the original being there, and feeding as many coins as possible in before being dragged away. The one and only time I've ever played it. I think I might just leave those fond memories as they are, and not revisit it! :wink:
Ex_Mosquito wrote:I remember seeing 2 guys play it at the same time, both on the P1 side...
:lol: :fastlove:
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I played Street Fighter quite a lot. It wasn't amazing but the special moves gave it a lot of mystique amongst arcade goers.

It was nothing like the special moves in SF2. The sequel's special moves were tricky to learn but the original's had to be performed with perfection. The Dragon Punch was almost impossible. Now we know this is because it was lacking the input buffering added to the sequel, but back then we just thought it needed inhuman ability. People would contort their wrists to grip the joystick just right, most of us would switch our left and right hands and play cross-armed ...and then we'd circle the joystick again and again hoping to leak out a very occasional Dragon Punch.

My friend who had god-like Street Fighter status tried teaching me. He'd start the joystick in the bottom right corner - but not all the way. Then he'd quickly move it in a small circle and then another smaller circle when he hit punch. I'd practice the movement repeatedly on a spare joystick of any game - or even just in thin air. It was that hard, you needed to go Karate Kid.

If you were good enough to do two Dragon Punches in a round with some consistency, you could complete the game. The move was that powerful. So were Hurricain Kicks and Fireballs (which needed maybe three or four to get a knock down), but the Dragon Punch made you practically invincible.

In the sequel, as well as being a lot easier to input it was powered down a lot, which helped make a much better game. Tactically the first game was dumb, but it still made jaws drop when someone had the skill to Dragon Punch every round - easily knocking out whatever enemy happened to be standing there - all the way to Sagat.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I wrote a long reply on my phone a while back but lost it and got disheartened for a bit there :problem: . Anyways...

I remember playing the original SF in Stonehaven but just the once because it was lame and I had to spend what little pocket money I had wisely. I've never played the arcade, a home port or emulated version of it since.

I played WW for the first time at the local bowling alley and was bowled over :oops: ... I was almost immediately hooked and used to sneak a few credits in at lunchtime at school. Back then I remember the special move inputs being a bit of a mystery and most of what you learned was from word of mouth, snippets in magazines and trial and error. When you knew what you were doing learning the special moves was hugely rewarding and it felt great to be able to pull them off with any consistency. I remember it being easy to beat a lot of people because they either didn't understand the concept of blocking or know how to. Also, not telling opponents you didn't know how to do the special moves was a good tactic :awe:

I played CE for the first time on holiday in France. My bro and I pretty much spent all our holiday money on it but had a great holiday as a result. IIRC there were a lot of rainbow editions going around at that time but my bro and I were all :roll: at the mid air fireballs etc so only played a few credits to see what was what.

Then after loads of hype and excitement my bro and I got a SNES & WW for Christmas. It was awesome having it at home and great fun learning the specials again using a d-pad and having time to practice combos. I remember my parents couldn't find an official controller anywhere at that time so bought a 'Dyna-1' controller from the local swap shop. I can't find anything about it online but it was absolutely **** - brittle grey plastic, sticky buttons, wonky shoulder buttons, mushy d-pad, pointless autofire switches all over the place etc. It was always a fight to get the proper controller as the chump with the Dyna-1 had a massive handicap. Visitors always got the Dyna-1 and it made winner stays on a lot easier 8-)

After the SNES port came out I played mostly at home from then on and had Turbo on the SNES then SCE and SSF on the Mega Drive. The 6 button MD controller outclassed the SNES one IMO so my bro and I switched almost exclusively to the MD versions eventually.

Those were my golden days of Street Fighter. I'd probably have more friends, a less pasty complexion and be able to play an instrument or speak another language proficiently if it weren't for sitting in my room playing it but I've no regrets as it was immense fun and created some of my fondest memories. Gone now are the days where you could laze about in bed all day practicing combos, occasionally thinking about girls and Warhammer :(

I always wanted a 3DO with SSF2T but have never owned one. Also, I've never played the Movie game :problem:

I played a lot of the Alphas on the Saturn and PS (again the Sega controller being by far the best) and EXs on the Saturn, then 2I and 3S on the Dreamcast. I didn't really like SF3 to begin with and it took me ages and a lot of coaxing by my bro before I finally came round to it. I bought CPS2 SSF2X a few years back and built a supergun to play it. I still play SSF2X regularly and it's been in one of my Astros for ages now.

After a while of playing on and off over t' years I got back in to SF properly again with the release of SF4 on the 360. I was stupidly excited and booked a day off work when it came out. I was living by myself at the time so locked the doors and spent the whole day playing it with the **** controller. Other than the Marmite art style, which I like (except Blanka :problem: ), I don't get the hatred for it really - all the mechanics are there and as good as ever IMO. I played it at the Trocadero quite a bit too when I was staying between home and London but my mrs always dragged me away from it. I've played all the home updates except for Ultra and still play TX2 SF4 regularly on my Vewlix. I love it :whoopsie:
TheRedKnight wrote:Oh, and I've never tried any iteration of SFIV and plan to keep it that way. :problem:
You've never even tried it? You should give it a go, it's ace, honest :awe:

I'd say if I had to choose a favourite it'd be WW for nostalgia but SSF2X/T for sheer playability, longevity, depth and pure 2P fun.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

crunchywasp wrote:
TheRedKnight wrote:Oh, and I've never tried any iteration of SFIV and plan to keep it that way. :problem:
You've never even tried it? You should give it a go, it's ace, honest :awe:
Never. Last November was the first time I even saw the game in action up close, because the arcade was cramped. :problem:

Oh and the EX games were not on the Saturn. :angel:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

You should give it a go, you might even like it :whoopsie:

Oops, I meant to write PS - I'm such a d-bag though, my wall of text is probably littered with errors :awe: . My bro still likes the EX games but I never really got in to them - they were more of a distraction really and it was just nice to see some new SF games. I do still get the Doctrine Dark's 'explosifff' soundbite stuck in my head from time to time though. What a **** special move. I played the arcade version of EX2 on my supergun a while back as I'd bought it as a gift for someone. It wasn't all that bad to replay it actually but I doubt I'll ever buy a PCB of any of the EXs for myself.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I like the EX series gameplay (not EX3...) a lot. And the fact that they have a bunch of exclusive characters really seals the deal for me. Guard crushing special attacks, level 3 supers etc. Such great ideas. :awe:

Oh, and the soundtracks in the games are amazing. :thumbupright: