NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Re: NaoPi - a Raspberry Pi as Naomi loader

Post by Paolo63 »

Uhm, I don't know. He tells the process stops well before the loading, at the dhcp exchange and this is a little strange, there is not so much going there.
It seems the naopi is not seeing the dimmboard. The two have to be connected directly by an ethernet cable (i'm using a straight but I think a cross should work too) without swhitch or router in the middle. There is really not so much.
But I hope we'll see more in the logs... at the moment Chevable seems busy with a lot better work :) Hope he will post some pictures of the arcade games at the Emerald City Comic Con !

Paolo
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

cross over works as well thats what i used

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Chewable
Please Continue...

Post by Chewable »

I got mine to work. It was the USB stick that was the problem it seems. I put the file on it to create the log and it did not put anything onto it. That made me very suspicious so I went and bought a new stick. Put the games on to it and it fired right up.

This is awesome and so much better I think than going out and buying another CF adapter.

Thanks for the awesome work. I am more than willing to PM you the log file if you still want it, but I assume it will tell you nothing you have not seen.
Chewable
Please Continue...

Post by Chewable »

FYI I am using a straight cable.

I will take some photos of the arcade tomorrow. It is pretty small there about 30 machines.

The big show will be in June in Tacoma at the Convention center. It should be about 300 machines.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Chewable wrote:I got mine to work. It was the USB stick that was the problem it seems. I put the file on it to create the log and it did not put anything onto it. That made me very suspicious so I went and bought a new stick. Put the games on to it and it fired right up.

This is awesome and so much better I think than going out and buying another CF adapter.

Thanks for the awesome work. I am more than willing to PM you the log file if you still want it, but I assume it will tell you nothing you have not seen.
Yes that is because some USB memory sticks will be /dev/SDA and not sda1 its how the device is formatted.
Say hello to my little friend...
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

:D I know, I know Andy, you told me :D I'm an hard head :awe:
I'm looking on the net to understand how this happens and to replicate it here then I'll put in the last NaoPi version the patch you suggested me ;)

So, Chewable, please keep your first usb mem there around to test it later, when I'll have deployed the new version... thanks.

Paolo
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

andygeezer wrote: Also you might want to change the mounting script of the /dev/sda1 as in many cases it can be /dev/sda, something like this I guess

mount /dev/sda /home/root/naopi/games
if [ !"$(ls -A /home/root/naopi/games)" ]; then
mount /dev/sda1 /home/root/naopi/games
fi
Ok Andy, I've studied a little, can you tell me if I'm right ?

Looking for instance here (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... at-413719/) it seems sometimes the system need a "refresh" to start to see the sda1 partition. This refresh can be done, for instance, with a "fdisk -l" or "trying", like in your suggestion, to mount sda.

Then I've read here (http://serverfault.com/questions/338937 ... d-dev-sda1) about the "superfloppy", so it could be really a filesystem without partitions and mbr.

Finally another interesting reading. Here (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... e/gg463525), speaking about the relatively new gpt, is stated about superfloppy that
Hard disk drives on external buses such as SCSI or IEEE 1394 are not considered removable.
and so they can't be superfloppy.

Ok, interesting reading of things I didn't know.

Please Andy, I'm a linux newbie so confirm me your patch is syntactically correct and I'll put on the next version.

Thanks again

Paolo
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Ok, here I am with the last (still) unreleased NaoPi version. It contains the delay between dhcp and loading and the mounting hack courtesy of Andy Geezer :-)

http://www.e-venturi.com/jamma/wp-conte ... i-sdimg.7z

Can you, Chewable, please try it with the old and then the new usb memory ? When you'll have time naturally.

Thanks

Paolo
purplec

Post by purplec »

can this be used?

http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/product ... anguage=en"

it would be cool to use the buttons for selecting and loading the game
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

purplec wrote:can this be used?

http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/product ... anguage=en"

it would be cool to use the buttons for selecting and loading the game
Sure, but must be implemented the code to drive it.
Honestly, I think it's so fast and easy to simply put the desired game on the memory or rename it to make it the first alphabetically that I don't see the need to implement it actually.
I mean, once you've decided what game you want to play probably you'll spend some hours playing it, so why the need to swap the games faster ?
If there is a pragmatic reason, I could support it, but actually I don't see such a reason :-)

Thanks for the message !

Paolo
purplec

Post by purplec »

I do see your point but if you had all your roms on one stick and you could select as you see fit from the lcd it would be nice.

I just thought it might be a nice end all solution for some.

NAOPI is cool though and I am awaiting delivery of mine to give it a go
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

I've proposed and implemented a solution to have a multiple selection, it's a simple cheap dip switch and it's schematic is on my site.
More or less at the same time I've published NaoPi I've seen in another arcade forum another user publishing his solution and he sells the raspi and the lcd shield as you like. I'm sorry but I can't write here what forum it is, it's indelicate :-) but i think you'll easily find it ;)

Thanks

Paolo
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Er, it was earlier in this very thread...

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 63#p374063"
ImageImageImageImage
Rumbaldo
Please Continue...
eBay: Idonothaveebay
Initials: JFR

Post by Rumbaldo »

Just ordered a starter kit look forward to bothering you all with questions :D
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Rumbaldo wrote:Just ordered a starter kit look forward to bothering you all with questions :D
you're welcome :thumbup:
Rumbaldo
Please Continue...

Post by Rumbaldo »

OK So the raspberry pi arrived today i followed all the instructions to a tee and have it displaying the login on my tv. Sadly as i predicted i cannot get it working :lol: . I'm using a capcom vs snk 2 .bin file i have netbooted before.
I'm feeling pretty confident that its my network settings that are wrong its been a long time since i had it working everything has been collecting dust in the spare room :(

Sorry for the picture quality and orientation ipad+tinypic problems

So first up is the naomi 2 capcom i/o and the pi plugged directly into the dimm board

Next is the 'checking network' screen i'm stuck on i know i know it flashed off as i took the picture

Last 4 are settings i hope someone will spot something obvious

when i set it up last time i was netbooting directly from my laptop to my naomi using a crossover cable

Any help would be appreciated
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

Hi Rumbaldo ! Let's try to find the problem :)
The configurations are ok... network type = ether and remote = enable
The only reason I can imagine is something wrong on the NaoPi side, so
- have you tried to connect the Raspi to a tv and see if it at least boots till the login ?
- have you created the "naopi" folder on the root of the usb memory ?
- and have you put in theis folder the .bin image ?
If you did it, can you please try to log something. You've to create a test file named "naopi.cfg" and put it on the "naopi" folder, the same where you've put the fames. Then, on the "naopi.cfg" file you've to writhe this line:

logfile=naopi.log

That's all. Restart both, raspi and naomi and you'll have the log, always on the "naopi" folder.

Ok, I'm here around :)

Ciao

Paolo
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

Why not assign a static IP to the DIMM? I haven't read the thread and i probably won't. Maybe it's the way you so this with the raspberry but it looks daft to me. Send from one IP to another IP... What am I missing?
Up the Irons!
Rumbaldo
Please Continue...

Post by Rumbaldo »

Done that, made sure the file was saved as plain text with the .cfg ending

Rebooted the naomi waited for the activity light to cease and the USB to flash off and then on again.

Plugged my USB into the computer and the naopi.cfg is empty. No log on the sd card either.
Sorry for my 'simpleness' this is all new to me
Paolo63
Please Continue...

Post by Paolo63 »

KmanSweden wrote:Why not assign a static IP to the DIMM? I haven't read the thread and i probably won't. Maybe it's the way you so this with the raspberry but it looks daft to me. Send from one IP to another IP... What am I missing?
The NaoPi loader has a built in dhcp server so it have to assign a dynamic address. It's made to have no "sync" problems between the raspberry and the naomi so you can switch on first what you want