R-TUNED and HUMMER music [UPDATE]

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Uno10
Please Continue...

R-TUNED and HUMMER music [UPDATE]

Post by Uno10 »

Does anyone have both Japanese and American/European copies of SEGA's Lindbergh games "R-TUNED: ULTIMATE STREET RACING" (2008) and "HUMMER" (2008), as well as the latter's update "HUMMER: Extreme Edition" (2009)? I'm looking for someone to extract the music from both versions of all three games (and possibly record the credits for all of them as well*), since SEGA never released a soundtrack for either of those games. This may sound like a bizarre/outrageous request, but bare with me a minute here.

This all started when I was watching a YouTube video of [the Japanese] R-TUNED (specifically, skip to 1:56):

Once the music in the video started to kick in, I immediately fell in love with it. There's a few more videos of R-TUNED with the music in action. At first was under the impression that SEGA might've altered these specific songs when they released it overseas, but I shrugged off the idea since SEGA was practically known for their "cheezy" vocal songs in their arcade racing games.

And then I viewed another video of R-TUNED, and noticed that the American/European version did replace (most of) the vocal hardcore rock/rap songs and electronic music with dull, generic trance music:

And, as I found out, the same applied to HUMMER as well. The Japanese trailer:

...and the American gameplay footage (from the Extreme Edition version, though I'm pretty sure these songs can also be found in the initial 2008 overseas release of the game):

It seems to me that SEGA of America/Europe - or heck, even SEGA of Japan themselves internally - thought that the original tracks in R-TUNED and HUMMER wouldn't have bode well with their international audience, and thus changed the music to something more "appealing" in order to make the games more marketable. Which, to be honest, was a kinda weird move on their part, seeing as how a lot of people consider Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's vocals songs in Daytona USA memorable and catchy after all these years - I'm pretty sure that whoever their target audiences were, they wouldn't have mind the original songs at all... Well, perhaps except for a few street thugs R-TUNED. (I'm not sure if the same music changes applied to other Lindbergh titles that saw a release outside of Japan - I don't think they did, but I could be wrong.)

Furthermore, I noticed that the overseas music were of lower sample rate than the sound effects and announcers - even the Japanese R-TUNED songs in the first video seemed to be of higher quality than their international replacements. It would seem to indicate to me that they didn't have enough space on the disc to fit these certain tracks if they were forced to lower these songs' sample rates - a potential sign that both the original tracks and their replacements exist on one single disc. Perhaps SEGA planned to use two different set of soundtracks depending on region from the very beginning?

Regardless of all this, I really dig what little I've heard of the original music to both games, and I'd like for someone to kindly extract the ADX/CRIWARE files from these games. Not to endorse piracy or anything (I read the rules), but I know that there was a rip of the entire Lindbergh Virtua Fighter 5 disc on the net, and that someone managed to successfully extract the music from another Lindbergh title already, so I know it's possible. I'm aware it might take a while before anything comes up, so I don't need these files "now" or "asap" - but at the very least, if someone is going to go through all this trouble, I'd like to see some activity/updates every once in awhile.

Short version: I watched videos of R-TUNED and HUMMER in action; noticed they played different music depending on the regional version; requesting gamerips of both games' original and changed music if possible.

* Simply because I'd like to properly credit/tag the musicians behind the music - I'm OCD like that. Got a feeling that neither of the regional songs were composed in-house by SEGA/AM2.

EDIT: nevermind, see below
Last edited by Uno10 on June 24th, 2013, 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uno10
Please Continue...

Re: R-TUNED and HUMMER: Japanese vs. International/Oveseas M

Post by Uno10 »

From the Arcade Otaku IRC:
21:13 <Mendel>: Ask jackalus, he might be able to get you the files.
21:13 <Mendel>: I wouldnt bet my **** that he can but it´s my best hunch!
21:14 <Uno10>: i already asked him
21:14 <Uno10>: i'm just looking for some more help
21:15 <Uno10>: i know he can, but there might be two different versions of r-tuned and hummer
21:15 <Uno10>: the japanese release with the orginal music and the overseas one with the replacements
[...]
21:16 <Uno10>: i read an english manual for hummer and i noticed that in the service test you could only choose between english and chinese
21:17 <Uno10>: http://www.segaarcade.com/sites/default ... manual.pdf"
21:17 <Mendel>: Yeah, I dont know **** about lindbergh but I just heard jackalus has played around with that a lot. Other than that I wish you luck!
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

The same disc likely holds all regions as I've never seen a different disc for R-Tuned. The mobo determines the region played. Best to ask Andy.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

English or Japanese hummer and r-tuned have.horrible.music!
Say hello to my little friend...
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Uno. You mean to tell me that you enjoy the original music in R-Tuned?

I am honestly amazed. It is interesting. I was a bit ... distracted by the original tunes in the game while playing, that's why I selected the alternative 'softer' tunes. I'll need to add the info into the youtube clips, I presume. Sorry about any confusion.

Just out of curiosity, what music do you listen to otherwise when driving, or any time?

And what alternative music would you like for R-Tuned then? Thanks for any suggestions.

(.. hi, Andy!)
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

I look at the playlist information and I noticed that I stated that the music replacement is an experiment. However, I have now added "ALL MUSIC IN THIS GAME HAS BEEN REPLACED. IT IS NOT SEGA'S ORIGINAL MUSIC." , so that there will be no more confusion.

Thanks.
Uno10
Please Continue...

Re: R-TUNED and HUMMER music [UPDATE]

Post by Uno10 »

uncletom wrote:I look at the playlist information and I noticed that I stated that the music replacement is an experiment. However, I have now added "ALL MUSIC IN THIS GAME HAS BEEN REPLACED. IT IS NOT SEGA'S ORIGINAL MUSIC." , so that there will be no more confusion.
I think you should add that onto the videos' own descriptions as well, since I found your music replacement videos individually from the suggested videos, rather than from the playlists they're on.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Oh yes. I thought about that, but there're simply too many videos to edit. I'd leave them as they are, or just remove them if I expereince any further issues.

I do apologise about the confusion in your case, there hasn't been many comments about these games in general so I believe that it isn't that important problem.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

I thought I'd put this here because of the interest in original game music.

Here's SEGA Race TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6i6RmBEZc

R-Tuned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Daey4wQfs

and Hummer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVhS2fBVj4&t=347s
Molloy
Please Continue...

Post by Molloy »

Does anybody have the music for Valve Limit R?

Asking for a friend.