Your arcade EPIC fails!

Coin-operated games and arcades.
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Your arcade EPIC fails!

Post by wonderbanana »

As title, I want to here about your arcade epic fails!

Or Kern's for short... :awe:

Games or cabs, large or small. :hinthint:

Ill start with a really simple one, if only because its literally just happened and gave me the idea for ths thread. :oops:

Just been playing Ketsui, which for the record I'm rather **** at.

Anyway had a few goes and despite my ****,I thought at least I'm doing well on stage 1 as every time I clear it it keeps coming up 'SUPERB' when totting up my final stage score. I felt quite chuffed at this small victory.

Took me a few goes more before I realised it actually said 'SUBURB' :palm:

Last edited by wonderbanana on May 23rd, 2013, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Your arcade EPIC fails!

Post by emphatic »

Yeah, don't you mean "Suburb"? :lol:

When I was 14, I could loop Get Star 15 times on a credit. Yet, I had no idea that the power up icon gave you different stuff depending on the colour it had. I thought it was all random. :palm:
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

kernow wrote:
suberb, isn't it suburb? :awe:
****. Perhaps reading and spelling in general is actually my problem :awe:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

The other day, I was working on cleaning the rust from my panel. with sandpaper. :)
All went well, till I had the bright idea of using the dremel tool:

At first, it went really smooth, removing rust from the bottom like a charm - but when I was nearly finished, I was not taking so much care than before, turned on the dremel, it started rotating and drove - driven by the rotatry movement - across the whole player 1 side of the panel..... wrong side of the panel, wrong angel of the tip, scartching into the poly, cutting a long scratch on the Player1-Side of the panel. :problem:

:oops:

It was not funny to get rid of that deep scratch again. :mad:
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Lets see:

Back when it all started... buying a cab off loot.com (remember them before eBay?), paying for it but having no way of collecting it as I couldn't drive, and the sellers promise of delivery was somewhat non-existent. No subsequent fails with this machine except many years later, either the monitor or J-PAC died after a long period of disuse.

Buying a Windy 2, getting it through the front door and not being able to dismantle it enough in the corridor to get it any further. Had to rip the door frames off to get it in (a task that was subsequently repeated a few times).

Feeding a way out of spec signal into a Toshiba trisync and killing a custom part.

Giving myself numerous 230V AC jolts while wiring up a switcher. I couldn't figure out why it was happening - turned out the green and the pink wires as I see them weren't actually the green and pink wires.

Dead DOJ. Paid Cave for a fix.

Swapping a Pony for an Aero Table.

Moving my Cute 1m and having the monitor (chassis and tube) die.

I only seem to damage electronic parts, nothing physical or mechanical :/
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

cools wrote:Buying a Windy 2, getting it through the front door and not being able to dismantle it enough in the corridor to get it any further. Had to rip the door frames off to get it in (a task that was subsequently repeated a few times).
Their all good though the one above I found most amusing. Shame you never had a series of pics. My missus would of killed me for that! :lol:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I think I do somewhere actually.

Only the stopper part of the frames, easy with a claw hammer.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

getting a naomi cab sent to work and planing on taking it in the car home .,brought no tools and had forgotten about the base in the measurements :palm: .....cue it not fitting into the car at all ,bar the section with the monitor

bit of rope later and i was doing a dodgy 40mph on the duel carriage-way on the way home with half the machine hanging out the back of the car :lolno: longest trip home ever but the machine did survive .....thank god it didnt rain

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

This thread definitely needs pictures! :lol:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I transported a Naomi from Leeds to Scotland. Dismantled it & got round to rebuilding it about 2 months later.

After chopping the legs, re-assembling, re-wiring etc I got to installing the monitor. At that point I noticed the neck wasn't straight. On closer inspection it was totally severed :palm:

Joy.

My latest fail was buying a Esp Rade JPN board & selling my international Esp Rade pretty cheap (I got a good deal on the JPN board). Never bothered to to test or play the board. 18-24 months later & decided to play it. Guess what, It's an international board :palm:
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

markedkiller78 wrote:My latest fail was buying a Esp Rade JPN board & selling my international Esp Rade pretty cheap (I got a good deal on the JPN board). Never bothered to to test or play the board. 18-24 months later & decided to play it. Guess what, It's an international board :palm:
PMSL!!!! :lol:
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

I've owned some non-Sega cabs in the past :oops:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Necked the original monitor in my Capcom Impress putting it back in after moving the cab upstairs. Stupid frameless monitor, will never own another Impress.

Recently fried my SF3:NG setup after one single credit due to over-voltage. That'll teach me not to meter the voltages.

Don't think there has been much else though, nothing of note anyway. Not bad going for 15ish years really...
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

I've owned a fair few cabs over the last few years but no major problems. Never had a monitor fail on me or andything like that and I much hav had about 30 cabs now! :D

I did do a fail by taking ages to repaint my SNK 18 but when its came to painting the large sides it was hard to get an even finish to match the front that looked so well with spray cans out in the garden.

Anyway, I had the brainwave to 'roller' the sides with paint rather than spray. Turned out not so good, especially when the front looked so good.

Also, a non-arcade related fail. I built a port and polished, race cam, throttle bodied track engine for my AE86 Corolla. Everything was new and bult to perfection., £1,000's spent.

Problem was, I shot blasted the cam cover at the top of the engine, but didn't do a good enoug job of removing all the sand that was stuck in a breather pipe. Anyway, 11 miles later, **** engine! :awe: Can laugh now, but I was :cry: at the time.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Got a loaner Ketsui PCB to break as my old wooden JAMMA cabinet had a dodgy PSU. :palm: Needless to say, I was devestated. In the end, me and the owner split the repair cost (sent to CAVE via Fuijita). A horrible experience.
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

I was out one night with a girl I was absolutely in love with. I was really good at DDR at the time and decided to have a game when we walked past. Unfortunately I'd had a few too many and I fell off the dance pad in the middle of a song and landed flat on my **** on the floor. I got back on as quickly as I could and amusingly still managed to get an A on the song.

A few weeks later I was out with the same girl and I decided to play another game. I didn't do too well and decided to slam my fist down on the CP which resulted in getting us both kicked out of the arcade.
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
adderall
Please Continue...

Post by adderall »

cools wrote: Moving my Cute 1m and having the monitor (chassis and tube) die.
My worst nightmare
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I toasted an MV-1FZ with SSIV in it because I had the +5 & +12V lines of an ATX PSU reversed and didn't meter them before testing :palm:

Instant pop, fizzle, sigh :(

Also, I remember visiting the Trocadero with my now wife not long after SSFIV had been released on console. There was a Ken player dragon punching his way to 1P glory on SFIV so after spectating for a while I joined in, confident that I could beat him with ease. I sat down, chose Ryu as usual, was doing well before it all went to crap and I narrowly lost the second round and was tanned in the third - by a load of dragon punches I should have been able to counter under normal circumstances (my excuse to myself for losing is that I hadn't acclimatised back to original SFIV and that the stick was **** :shifty: )... The worst thing was that my mrs thought, and still thinks to this day as I've never corrected her, that I was Ken and won :oops: the shame :palm:
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I blew up a Ravengames supergun and a Bootleg Robocop when I plugged in a Jamma extension lead backwards. A small pop from the board and a smoke signal from a chip on the pcb confirmed this. ;/
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:I blew up a Ravengames supergun and a Bootleg Robocop when I plugged in a Jamma extension lead backwards. A small pop from the board and a smoke signal from a chip on the pcb confirmed this. ;/
I've done the same, but fortunately I only blew two fuses. Had to mention this because the PCB was bought from you. :awe:
Emulation's nice when done well