Pana Custom Long issues - composite video works now, but no SCART RGB now

Everything Supergun related
samaron
Please Continue...
eBay: kklart

Pana Custom Long issues - composite video works now, but no SCART RGB now

Post by samaron »

Hi!

I'm fairly fresh to this kind of stuff. Have acquired a Pana Custom Long that seems to have some issues. The main problem is that I don't get any composite video or s-video output. The screen is just black. RGB SCART works just fine.

I've tried turning the pot on the back, but it doesn't change anything with the picture. Got some help translating the stickers, and the one I've been turning were called "screen adjust."

Another smaller issue is that the built-in speaker either is very quiet, or at maximum volume. When turning the volume pot, it will stay constantly at a very low volume, until I reach maximum, then it becomes very loud and clear. Not sure if this is related, but I include this information as well just in case.

Anyone know how I can remedy this issue? Bought this supergun because of the different video outputs it offer. Plus it is kind of vintage with patina on it. Looks cool, but would be a shame to have used quite a bit of money on something that turns out can't be repaired.
Last edited by samaron on July 3rd, 2015, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
samaron
Please Continue...

Re: Pana Custom Long - no composite video and s-video

Post by samaron »

I have a theory on what might be wrong. After watching a video on youtube about an Amiga computer with similar problem, I checked the data sheet for the video chip inside the supergun. The chip in question is an Sony CXA1145M.

The RGB passes through the chip untouched, while the composide/s-video is tapped from those signals. I also see that the chip have a couple of pins for audio as well. If the chip is defective, it would explain why composite/s-video isn't working while RGB does, and the odd behaviour of the sound when adjusting the volume. The volume pot have a smooth resistance change, so it isn't broken.

I've ordered a new CXA1145M chip from ebay, going to attempt changing it. Hopefully I won't toast the PCB in the process of removing the old chip.
samaron
Please Continue...

Re: Pana Custom Long - no composite video and s-video

Post by samaron »

I have now replaced the Sony CXA1145M chip. Composite video now works! While SCART RGB doesn't now... Noticed also that some boards only give a black and white picture on screen when using composite video, while others have color. SCART RGB is just a black picture. Anyone have some clue to what is going on?
vholfx
eBay: vholfx

Re: Pana Custom Long issues - composite video works now, but no SCART RGB now

Post by vholfx »

Hello, I'm having similar issues with my Pana supergun. Were you able to find the issue?