Everything Supergun related
neros77
Nudity on MAX
eBay: nerosretro
Initials: N77

Boardmaster supergun help and problems?

Post by neros77 »

Hi people.

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread, but I guess it's very arcade like.

I bought a Sega Boardmaster Blast City supergun form Sophia Corp a few days ago. At first it all worked like a charm and I felt there was nothing wrong with it. But now comes the problem! Today none of my PCB's have a steady picture. I tried to adjust the picture with the 5V+ switch. Here I can get the picture perfect, but then I lose the sound...? What the heck is going on :wtf:

Does anyone in here have a Boardmaster and what do you think is my problem here? I can't believe this can happen when it's a professionel made supergun from Japan. Is it because I need a better step down converter with more power maybe?

Please help and give your opinion on this thanks..

I'm really sad this is happening :cry:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Boardmaster supergun help and problems?

Post by SuperPang »

Firstly, if you are adjusting a 5V pot to try and adjust the picture, stop what you are doing! The 5V is a power supply adjustment for the PCBs and you will damage them if you feed them too much voltage. You will need to get hold of a multimeter and set it so that the PCBs are getting 5V (or very slightly over) when under load.

Any picture issues you experienced were likely due to sync issues with your TV and disappearing sound could be due to incorrect voltages or damage caused to the PCBs. Sort out your power issues before troubleshooting further.

Step-down wise I'd suggest 200W but you can probably get away with less depending on what the sticker on the PSU says.
neros77
Nudity on MAX

Post by neros77 »

Ok Yes you are quite right.

I actually found out that I was adjusting the fuse for (+12V 1A) and not the +5V adjustment as I thougt...Sorry I'm an idiot when it comes to these things.

Ok then I'll not touch any of the fuses at all! ;)

I'm just very concerned about WHY the picture in so un-steady? I use a Sony PVM with S-Video because I don't have a modded RGB cable jet.

So actually when I touch the (+12V 1A) switch I can get the picture steady but loses the sound, why is that?

I don't think any of my PCB's are damage it must be the supergun or syncproblem of some kind. The un-steady picture goes for all my PCB's.

I have ordered a new step down with more power in it hope this will solve my problem.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

You need to meter your 12V then. I believe the 12V often handles the audio components on PCBs which is why you are having sound issues. Never adjust voltages without a multimeter.

The image being "unsteady" could be one of many things. Get your voltages right then try adjusting the vertical hold on your monitor.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

What do you mean by adjusting the fuse? Does the boardmaster have screw in caps for the fuseholders that you are turning? :eh:
Emulation's nice when done well
neros77
Nudity on MAX

Post by neros77 »

It looks like everything turned out for the good of it all :D

I'm very noob when it comes to these things, but I'm learning, and sorry if I sound stupid explaining the problems I had..

I found out I was turning the wrong fuse/screw or what you might call it. Dangerous I know!

The 5V+ adjustment sits in a tiny hole with a little screw. I turned it very carefully and now the picture is perfect. I better get a multimeter FAST so I don't harm any my beloved PCB boards that I have.

Here you can see the manual of how all the things look like:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/5/5a ... ter_EN.pdf"

The Boardmaster is a very awesome piece of hardware for those like me that don't know how to built a good supergun. It feels like a candy cab sitting there in front of it. Blast City all the way, and I think the buttons and stick is sanwa made 8-)
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

neros77 wrote: Here you can see the manual of how all the things look like:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/5/5a ... ter_EN.pdf"
You're welcome.
neros77
Nudity on MAX

Post by neros77 »

I was wondering if there is some kind of weird power thing going on with Seibu Kaihatsu PCB's? I can't seem to power up my Viper Phase 1 (Old version) board? Same goes for my Strikers 1945 III PCB. Non of them can't seem to work with my Boardmaster? I know my games work on my other supergun. It must be some kind of power thing I think.

Btw I have a jammamultimeter in the mail. I know it's not the best way but it was cheap for me to get. Maybe I should buy one from JNX soon.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Don't use it further until you've measured your 5V and 12V under load with a cheap PCB.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Measuring_Voltages"