control issues

Everything Supergun related
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

control issues

Post by jonny5 »

i got my buddy a supergun from firebug over on shmups....

worked fine for a few months and now the controls dont respond for either player....its neo geo connectors.....

ive also noticed the LED on it doesnt light up anymore.....

the wiring is very neat and organized inside and i cannot see anything wrong.....i traced the lines last night to make sure nothing was loose or came unsoldered

i am going to give it a more thorough inspection tonight

so ya....it powers up boards.....they work as per normal....i hooked up my neo 1 slot to it and its fine if i hook the controller up direct to the mobo.....plays as per normal.....but nothing through either player 1 or 2 on the supergun itself......and no LED now

any ideas?
on the loose
Xenepp

Re: control issues

Post by Xenepp »

Sounds like a grounding problem to me. Are the two controller ports mounted on the case? If so check continuity on the ground going to them.

Do you have a picture of it or link to info on the thing?

-Joel
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

i will post a bunch of pics tonight....

and i traced the grounds....they make it to the control ports....its all very odd...especially the LED not working now.....and like i said....i can see no fault in the wiring...

i will have a better idea tonight

and yes....the control ports are mounted on the case....is this of consequence to this problem perhaps?

its a plastic case
on the loose
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Do you have a multi meter? If so check continuity on the ground. If your friend uses Neo Geo pads, check voltage too. They might look ok but you'll not know unless you have a multi meter.

I only say I think it's a problem with the ground wire since if all three of those are knocked out then it's a common fault, especially if everything else works, the ground (or voltage) would be looped off from the power/JAMMA loom to the LED then the controllers. Ground/voltage would be the only common factor.

If you don't have a multi meter I'd just renew the solder points where the ground attaches. I only asked if the ports were mounted to the case since that means they have solder cups and those are hard to solder correctly. Unplugging/plugging/knocking can loosen them too.

-Joel
jonny5
Tremendous Woody

Post by jonny5 »

no multimeter :?

.....i will definitely check the ground lines and make sure the soldered connections are sound....i can get a multimeter tho if need be...i now i should have one anyways....

thanx for the tips joel :D
on the loose
Xenepp

Post by Xenepp »

Yeah when I got my first meter all those moons ago I didn't know how I went without it so long. Very handy to have.

Let us know how you get on mate ;)

-Joel