Recommendations for better encoder for boardmaster supergun

Everything Supergun related
Eddierang
Please Continue...

Recommendations for better encoder for boardmaster supergun

Post by Eddierang »

Does anyone have a good recommendation for video encoders? I want a better quality picture than what the stock video encoder PCB puts out. I thought about getting one of those cga/ega/vga to vga encoders since I own a NEC XP 29 monitor but wasn't sure what the verdict on those were.
Rossyra
Supermod

Re: Recommendations for better encoder for boardmaster super

Post by Rossyra »

If you are talking upscaler, Micomsoft XRGB2+ or XRGB3 is probably your best bet
Eddierang
Please Continue...

Post by Eddierang »

Yeah I thought about that too but do I need to have a special 21 pin RGB cable made to hook up from the boardmaster to the XRGB3 or does it come with the cable already?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

You're gonna need some sort of custom cable whatever you use I reckon - better keeping it RGB than go down some crappy S-Video route.

No upscaler is perfect though, so don't expect it to be as sharp as say a video-doubled MAME image.

Some of the Japanese Superguns come with 21-Pin RGBs already, I take it your Boardmaster didn't?
Eddierang
Please Continue...

Post by Eddierang »

That is correct, mine didn't.
Eddierang
Please Continue...

Post by Eddierang »

I see Mak Japan sells them though, I'm guessing that I would have to go third party to get one from them unless someone has an alternative site. Neoamusement maybe?
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

Get a japanese RGB-21 cable (looks like scart but is wiired differently) and a Micomsoft XRGB-2 (best version if using PCB's) and feed VGA from the XRGB-2 into the Screen.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Eddierang
Please Continue...

Post by Eddierang »

XRGB-2s are hard to find though, is the XRGB-3 a good substitute? I know they are charging close to $500 on ebay for them :(
SuperDeadite
Please Continue...
Initials: ETP

Post by SuperDeadite »

Depends on what you want to play. XRGB3 can run many games well. But there are many boards that will only work on the standard gray 2.

Or just wire up you boardmaster to a real RGB monitor and then you won't need anything. :)
Stronger then your average deadite.
Ramza

Post by Ramza »

SuperDeadite wrote:Depends on what you want to play. XRGB3 can run many games well. But there are many boards that will only work on the standard gray 2.

Or just wire up you boardmaster to a real RGB monitor and then you won't need anything. :)
Interesting. So the XRGB-2 runs arcade boards that the XRGB-2+ / 3 can't? Any more infos on which hardware doesn't work?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

News to me, I thought the only differences were in they modes they operated.

Fantastic upscaler site here:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/"
SuperDeadite
Please Continue...
Initials: ETP

Post by SuperDeadite »

Ramza wrote:
SuperDeadite wrote:Depends on what you want to play. XRGB3 can run many games well. But there are many boards that will only work on the standard gray 2.

Interesting. So the XRGB-2 runs arcade boards that the XRGB-2+ / 3 can't? Any more infos on which hardware doesn't work?
That's correct. The XRGB-2 was the last model to officially support PCBs. The 2+ and 3 do not support them. I forget the details, but the 2 has greater tolerance for weird non-standard sync/refresh rates. For example, Konami's Xexex. It runs perfectly on my XRGB-2. If connected to my 2+ or 3 (B0 or B1) I get a black screen of nothing.
Stronger then your average deadite.
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I've got a pair of XRGB-2's but need to get a PSU and cables for the spare one so it's usable....

Once I've got them then it'll be up for sale on the forum.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).