Mame in cab thread. Frontends, gamelists, configuration etc.

Everything Emulator related
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Re: Mame in cab thread. Frontends, gamelists, configuration

Post by joeblade »

cRacKh0rN wrote:Man. Turns out I underestimated how big mame with videos would be.
The SSD I purchased was only 64gig... Windows 7 with updates has taken a massive 27gig of space!

Having spent the last few hours battling with grep and the generated romlist from attractmode on my mac, I have managed to make a bash script to copy the filtered roms and snaps over to the ssd with just enough space left for windows to run ok :S

I've had to delete all system restore points too. Hopefully the crt drivers will work without a hitch.
Yeah it's unreal how quickly it get's used with videos added, win7 updates never help!! :(

If i was going down the ssd route 256 would be minimum for me, luckily they've dropped in price quite a bit.
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Remembered why I have a filter that excludes "imperfect" - it gets rid of CV1000 stuff that's totally unplayable on the vert PC. I add the PGM stuff into favourites instead.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

cools wrote:Remembered why I have a filter that excludes "imperfect" - it gets rid of CV1000 stuff that's totally unplayable on the vert PC. I add the PGM stuff into favourites instead.
So none of them are playable? I had a quick test on a few and they were not perfect but seemed ok?
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

I think he was referring to his specific vert pc, which isn't as powerful as his hori one.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Thamiel is right.

I rarely play the horizontal SH3 stuff on the decent rig either, as I notice the slowdown being wrong.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Re: Mame in cab thread. Frontends, gamelists, configuration etc.

Post by cools »

pubjoe wrote:I've got the bug at the moment.

I've spent quite a long time setting up a personal mala layout and many steps are not straight forward. Some of the things I've done are:

- Modified my own (E2 style) layout (**** retrogui).
- Made a little batch file to cycle through layout varients on each start up.
- Using virtualdub, batch edited videos and picture files to fit in nicely (sourced from emumovies).
- Reorganised the main list:
...... - Removed clones, except for certain good ones like SSF2T (I'd like advice on other keepers).
...... - Used 'mame content manager' to remove/restore mature games.
...... - Used multimame to build a mame.xml file that brings in other emulators (like zinc and makaron) where required.
...... - Added extra (unsupported by mame) games to the main list.

There are still plenty more things I want to do. One of the problems is that mame is always updating and some of the tools and ini files that would have been handy a couple of years ago are now out of date.

I won't list everything else I'd like to do just now. But if anyone is doing (or has done) this stuff and is interested in sharing knowledge, please let me know. A lot of this stuff has a steep learning curve.

My current FE (mala):
Shame the hosted image has gone...

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=370.0
zipper
eBay: bazpatts
Initials: BAZ

Post by zipper »

Mike Boss over at BYOAC made me a nice Astro themed Mala layout. If anyone wants something custom to finish off their cab, he's good, quick and cheap :D
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 912.0.html
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

I like that :)
Looking for More Space!
jhonny_d
eBay: rapace_mnb

Post by jhonny_d »

hope it's the right thread to ask, I need to buy a graphic card to use with crt_emudriver and would like to know if it's ok to use a dvi to vga adapter or if it's better to get a card that already has a vga port
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

If the DVI connector you are using is DVI-I instead of DVI-D, then there is absolutely no difference: the adapter is just a rewiring thing.
If, however, your output connector is DVI-D then you do have a problem there.
This image shows the physical difference between the two. About the technical reason why you need DVI-I there's ton of info on wikipedia.

I hope this helps.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
jhonny_d

Post by jhonny_d »

thanks, I assumed that DVI was digital only, but know I know DVI-I carries also the analog singnal :)
jhonny_d

Post by jhonny_d »

Bonus question: should I keep xp or upgrade to win7? I'm more interested about various emu performance rather than frontend features
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

jhonny_d wrote:various emu performance
Win7 then.

You'll need to grab the dlls from http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=149052.0
ReSe2k
eBay: hyaku-shiki
Initials: RSK

Post by ReSe2k »

I want to build a pc for a vertical cab (Naomi 31khz only), but i don't really know much about it so i want to ask what would be a good set-up?

stuff i want to play on it would be mame obviously and shooting games on steam (crimzon clover, raiden iv). the only cave sh-3 game that needs to run is ibara

i already have a Radeon HD 6850, so what else do i need? the cheaper the better :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

The MAME SH3 stuff needs beefy CPU. It might work slightly better with DEMUL but I've struggled to get on with that emulator.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

If anyone is looking for a motherboard for a MAME build at the moment, the ASROCK H81M-DG4 has a couple of nice things pointed out on the BYOAC forum. 1) With BIOS v1.0 it supports the Pentium G3528, 2) it has a UEFI BIOS that works in 640x480 with an ATOM-15 flashed card.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

cools wrote:If anyone is looking for a motherboard for a MAME build at the moment, the ASROCK H81M-DG4 has a couple of nice things pointed out on the BYOAC forum. 1) With BIOS v1.0 it supports the Pentium G3528, 2) it has a UEFI BIOS that works in 640x480 with an ATOM-15 flashed card.
What about overclocking the G3528 with this motherboard? Can´t find the thread on BYOAC.
Last edited by Shadolf on January 9th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I missed out half a sentence. What I meant to say was with BIOS 1.0 it supports overclocking with that processor.
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Post by keropi »

I posted that info on BOYAC, I decided to flash my 6670 with atom-15 over the weekend and I was pleased to find that UEFI displayed on my 15khz POLO monitor, when the mouse reaches the edge of the screen it moves to the new area:

I assume it's 1024x768 in segments - someone over at Asrock thought to add support low-res screens apparently

As long as you stay on BIOS v1.0 (where the option "Non-Z Overclocking" exists) the G3258 can be overclocked.
If you update to the later BIOSes that add win10 support - you lose the non-Z O/C option completely. So this board is for win7 if you want to O/C (not the board's problem btw, win10 needed microcode update for G3258 for some reason so intel also decided to disable o/c for boards that don't have a Z series chipset...)

I have tried overcloking to 4ghz - it worked and it was stable. If anyone wants me to test another frequency tell me and I will report back - I am running at stock speed atm but I installed a ZALMAN CNPS8X cooler so theoretically temperatures won't be a problem.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

Could you please test OC to 4,2Ghz?!
I have OCed mine to 4,2 with stock cooler, but lowered Voltage.
Is voltage adjustment also possible with this board?

Another Question:
Is there something like a SATA-switch? I would like to use different SSD´s with different setups. Switch between 15khz and 31khz or hori/vert setup.