ArcadeOX (Xbox MAME) problem

Everything Emulator related
frothmeister
Please Continue...

ArcadeOX (Xbox MAME) problem

Post by frothmeister »

Hi guys, is anyone familiar with an ArcadeOX setup and know how to help out? The console is not with me any more I'm afraid as I sold it on to a friend however I think he has somehow inadvertently altered one of the control keys.

The problem is that when he presses p1 button1 fire, the bar at the bottom of the screen for changing brightness etc pops up now. Pressing BACK and the White button whilst in a game does not seem to do anything either (I think this is how I got into the change button configuration screens when I had it very briefly, but everything was already set up for me when I got it).

I suspect that he has changed the function of p1 button1 fire and also disactivated the Tab key, probably by deleting the default configuration for this key altogether.

Please if someone does know what can be done to cure this and allow us to get back into the change controls menu could you please post up straightforward instructions for this. The reason being that he lives about 18 miles from me and doesn't have internet access therefore when I go round to try and sort it I will not be able to ask any more questions with it in front of me, if I can't do it first time.

Thanks

Danny
Jahya
Please Continue...

Re: ArcadeOX (Xbox MAME) problem

Post by Jahya »

If he is using mame on the box it is obviously soft modded. You can just ftp to the xbox and overwrite the exsisting configs with the default ones from the mame install. If he doesn't want to ftp into the box, burn the files to a dvd/cd and copy them to the xbox via a file browser util. Xbox Media Center has this built in.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Hi Danny,

I'm not familiar with the MameOx emulator, but generally the simplest way to remedy this is to delete

cfg/default.cfg

Mame will then recreate this file when it restarts, and the button functionality will return to default.

HTH
frothmeister
Please Continue...

Post by frothmeister »

Thanks for the tips guys. As I don't have access to the machine now though I can't experiment. I have no idea how this was set up and know very little about it TBH.

Alien MAME can you elaborate on how I get into this bit to delete the configured files - I assume I would need to connect a keyboard for starters?

Cheers

Danny
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Hi Danny,

I'm gonna have to ask about that myself.

As soon as I have an answer, I'll post back here matey.

Cheers,

a_m.
frothmeister
Please Continue...

Post by frothmeister »

OK Cheers m8
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame

Post by AeroCityMayor »

"The Man" says:

Two ways:

1) FTP into the X-Box, find the right folder where MAMEOx is, and delete it.

2) There are also a few file manager programs for XBox. Simply use one of those; navigate and delete.
HTH matey.

a_m.
frothmeister
Please Continue...

Post by frothmeister »

Thanks Ralph. Is this a different 'The Man' to the one on here then (Roger?)?

Now then I still haven't had a chance to get round my mates and have a look but hopefully it will have the required utils on there already.

I do recall a menu for 'Utils' appearing when I turned it on before but never bothered looking to see what was in there.

That way I won't have to have the :oops: of not really knowing what FTP means. I am guessing it means connecting a pc to the xbox (somehow?) and transferring files across. If this is the case can anyone point me to the exact location of the required file and also tell me what lead I need - Xbox doesn't have a USB port does it?. Sorry for being so lame, I just have no experience of installing MAME on an Xbox at all and my limited experiences of putting MAME onto a PC have ended in tears (and lots of swearwords) on more than one occasion. :x

Danny
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

it all depends on which dashboard your friend has installed on his xbox, if it's xbox media center "xbmc" then scroll through the menu and find "file manager" then go to F:emulators\mamedox(or mame or whaterver version it is)\config file highlight the file and press the white button on the joypad, then select delete and it will be deleted. Turn off the xbox and start it up again and load mame, it should create a new config file automatically. This is based on a standard xbox setup with a larger hd fitted and xbmc as a dashboard, all done with the joypad and no keyboard needed, hope this helps. If you want more info on ftping via a pc then check out "how to ftp to your xbox" on youtube
Jahya
Please Continue...

Post by Jahya »

When you boot his xbox, it should show an IP address if it is any of the available dashboards. If not... just experiment a bit if you know his network setup.

FTP is a file transfer protocol service. You can connect to the xbox hard drive via an ftp program or by using windows explorer.

For example. I have 5 machines on my router. 192.168.0.1 though 192.168.0.5
The xbox is on .4
so i connect via windows explorer using this: ftp://192.168.0.4"

It will normally prompt for a username and password. On most of the dashboards available both are: xbox

You can then see the contents of the hard drive. From here you need to find the configuration file for whatever emulator you have. Either edit the file to correct the issue, or in some cases deleting the file will reset the whole config.