JPAC fault? (Kick buttons)

Everything Emulator related
VHD

JPAC fault? (Kick buttons)

Post by VHD »

Hi,

I am trying to setup mame inside my NAC using a new JPAC purchased off Amazon. I cut a 10 pin AMP UP gutted from a previous cabinet (dont know which as bought it online) wiring them into the screw connectors on the jpac (1SW4..1SW6, GND (left), 2SW4..2SW6, GND(right)).

The problem is that only the medium kick of p1 works and light kick on p2 (1SW5 and 2SW4). I figured it might have been faulty wiring, but then I noticed that 1SW6 responds when 1SW5 is held down which makes me think that my jpac is faulty.

I dont think it is my cabs internal wiring (I have had it hooked up to capcom fighters in the past and it was fine).

Should I be looking for a refund or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Re: JPAC fault? (Kick buttons)

Post by FrancoB »

Check your wiring. The kick button loom can be wired in two different ways. The inputs you are getting sound like what you get when you mix up the two pinouts.

Top:

Underside:

VHD

Post by VHD »

Hey FrancoB, hows it going (you probably dont remember me but you helped me out on the chat back when I first got my NAC and kick harness :D). Thought you werent around as I would have asked you for one of your adapters.

Anyhoo, the adapter I have has all 10 pins wired up, and I connected up the wires to the jpack to match the Astro/Blast/NNC wiring. I dont think this would make a difference, would it?
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

All's good thanks dude 8-)

As you probably know, the ten pin AMP UP cable that goes from the CP to the base is just a 1:1 pass through. Take a look at the 10 pin AMP UP that's connected to your kick buttons inside your CP and see how it's wired up. The wiring on the base side of your loom/adapter needs wiring to match.

If you've wired it to the Astro/Blast/NNC wiring and you're getting the behaviour reported then it sounds like your kick harness is wired to the Naomi Uni pinout. Try wiring it to that instead.

If you've got a multimeter handy you can easily check it with the continuity function.
VHD

Post by VHD »

Yeah, I already made sure to make it much the kick harness (thats how im confident its right as I did consider that maybe I had Naomi wiring in the cab, but its 100% Astro).

Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter at hand at the moment.
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

One way to prove if your JPAC is working ok or not would be to connect a piece of wire into the GND terminals on the JPAC and then tap the JPAC kick inputs with the other end of the wire to simulate a button press.
VHD

Post by VHD »

Good shout! So using the wire I can see the JPAC works fine but this means my internal wiring is busted or the AMP UP adapter I sliced is dodgy. :/

Any way to tell without a multimeter?
VHD

Post by VHD »

So using the same trick I can see I got the pins wrong way around.

Thanks Franco!
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

Glad you got it sorted :awe:

FWIW I've used a LED and a battery/wires in place of a multimeter for checking continuity before.