JVS-PAC feature requests

Everything Emulator related
invzim
eBay: prrole

Re: JVS-PAC feature requests

Post by invzim »

A bug is a bug is a bug.. Most errors reported comes down to odd windows setups, front-end or mame configurations. If there is some error that is reproducible I will for sure fix it, but TBH there has not been any of those when it comes to input handlng. Also, a bug like this should be reproducible outside of mame as it's just keyboards.

Neither the JVS protocol or the USB specification cares about the difference with player1 or player2, it's completely the same - but if someone has some issue that can be reproduced, I will look into it for sure.

Bugs are of course never where you expect them to be, and I haven't done much testing with 2 players for the reasons stated above.

A new batch of pacs are in the works, actually stuck in customs for almost 2 weeks - so could be a good time for a new release of the firmware.

Can you guys that have issues please try to describe as accurately as you can how it happens, and possibly some way to reproduce it?
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

FWIW I have seen similar stuck inputs here with mine, but it was a while ago - before I fitted the internal stepdown and made sure everything was earthed properly. I don't recall it happening recently at all.
Dache

Post by Dache »

I'll give it a go on some input test screens at some point with inputs visible and see if I can come up with a decent repro. I'm away this weekend though so it might be next week sometime.
invzim

Post by invzim »

Please do - currently I'm working abroad and don't have access to a 2player panel.

The main difference between keyboard and ps3 mode is the way the keyboards work.
For a joypad, there is a small finite number of inputs - so each button has it's own button state, this makes it easy.
For a keyboard, since there as so many buttons, the way it works is you add a key to a buffer, and later remove that specific key from the buffer when it is released. This is small and only holds a few keys(USB spec), and is the reason the JVS-PAC behaves like 3 keyboards to ensure enough concurrent inputs.

When the shift-key sequence is terminated (1p start released), all the keyboard buffers are flushed so e.g. a ~ or ESC does not get stuck in this buffer, and the way this is handled could possibly be improved or indeed be a source for bugs. To avoid this completely, it's safest of course to disable shift keys to keep it simple.

All suggestions are welcome!
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
arcadefanWC
Please Continue...

Post by arcadefanWC »

Where can one buy a JVS-PAC? I could not find anything online - are they still readily available?
invzim

Post by invzim »

arcadefanWC wrote:Where can one buy a JVS-PAC? I could not find anything online - are they still readily available?
Hopefully soon. jvspac.kirurg.org should be up again next week.
arcadefanWC
Please Continue...

Post by arcadefanWC »

Thanks. I know the site has been down and wasn't sure if it was coming back. Glad to hear it should be back soon!
Trying to get familiar with the JVS-PAC and looking to use it for a MAME setup and a Sega I/O board. From what I can see; the only downside would be the lack of support for 4-player simultaneous games as the JVS-PAC will only support two player games?? Looking to have some 4-player simultaneous games with MAME, but may have to figure out something different for these particular games.
Dache

Post by Dache »

Just got a video of the button sticking tonight in the SSF2 test mode. Really easy to replicate just by hitting P2 B1 a lot and mashing P1 Start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odr_Kp7zApM

Apologies for sounding grumpy, I'm full of cold at the moment ;)
Mrhide
Initials: MRH

Post by Mrhide »

nicely done!
invzim

Post by invzim »

Dache wrote:Just got a video of the button sticking tonight in the SSF2 test mode. Really easy to replicate just by hitting P2 B1 a lot and mashing P1 Start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odr_Kp7zApM

Apologies for sounding grumpy, I'm full of cold at the moment ;)
Great work! Can't really ask for a clearer bug report than that :) It is definitely related to the shift-key sequence stuff, and if it's annoying - just disable it. Hope you can check a firmware update when I think I have a solution for the issue.

A side not - you should never power up the jvs-pac (or any electronics for that sake), while resting on anti-static bag, as it conducts electricity and may cause a short.
KirillZl
Please Continue...

JVS PAC feature requests

Post by KirillZl »

Is there a list of features hopefully sorted by priority that are in the works? If not I suppose that is my first feature request
invzim

Re: JVS PAC feature requests

Post by invzim »

KirillZl wrote:Is there a list of features hopefully sorted by priority that are in the works? If not I suppose that is my first feature request
Guess I should release something soon - maybe a 'beta' only posted here so people can try stuff out?

What has been changed/fixed since 0.8 (2012)
* hold 1P start to issue ESC (escape game from 1p panels)
* Stuck keys as a result from key bashing while in shift-mode
* If IO board has been unresponsive for >30 seconds, reset the JVS-PAC (so the cab can be power toggled without restarting PC /unplugging JVS-PAC)

I've done a little work to make the LED stuff more usable and cleaned up the code a bit.

Stuff that requires modifications of the (old) USB stack, like PS button on ps3, is likely not going to happen. To get that stuff to work, the whole code would have to be rewritten.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

@invzim did you ever release something with the stuck input fix? I had the release for 1P ESC but since getting back into cab use I've had things get stuck a couple of times, wondering if that was in a newer beta I missed.
invzim

Post by invzim »

cools wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:29 pm @invzim did you ever release something with the stuck input fix? I had the release for 1P ESC but since getting back into cab use I've had things get stuck a couple of times, wondering if that was in a newer beta I missed.
I don't think I did, looking at the git repo there is a commit that claims to fix it. If I still have the dev setup in a virtual machine I can have a look.