GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Everything Emulator related
lacanian
Please Continue...
Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by lacanian »

cools wrote:Just rebuilt one XP machine with Windows 7 to see how difficult it was. Answer: not very.
Hi Cools,
After doing the rebuild what do you think the better setup is?
XP - Magic Resolution or Win7 Super Resolution?

Are the stretching of the horizontal axis and shimmering in horizontal scrollers an issue?

Thanks.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I've messing around with super resolutions for a long time (cleanstretch 2 was implemented by Calamity due to me bugging him about it). They work fine, I've not noticed any sort of shimmering or artifacts on multiple different monitors.

Windows 7 is a non issue apart from one thing. If you ever need to run task manager from Ctrl-Alt-Del in a low resolution mode... You can't.

7 has less messing around with drivers for sound and SSD etc.

If I was doing another machine, I'd use 7.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Thanks @cools. A few months ago I had issues with Super Resolutions on FightCade on Win7 in a 15kHz machine. I have a little more knowledge now so I'm going to try again. Your post has helped me decide if I should try Magic Resolutions a go on XP or not.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

FightCade isn't MAME, anything not built for these non standard sizes is unlikely to work well. You can use super and normal at the same time, its just a matter of configuration.
bagheera369

Post by bagheera369 »

So update on my status here.

I have tested on the sanwa 29es31, and the weiya 3131, and win xp, even though it says its in 640x480, will not sync properly.

Sanwa will display, but is horizontally folded over itsetlf. Will display games an mames gameselect box fine with no issues.

Weiya will say disconnected, the moment windows boots to desktop. Bios and windows splash screen are fine.

Any body have anything else I might have missed during setup that would cause this???
The computer displays fine, and immediately on a lcd flatpanel.

Will appreciate any help given.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

cools wrote:FightCade isn't MAME, anything not built for these non standard sizes is unlikely to work well. You can use super and normal at the same time, its just a matter of configuration.
Absolutely.

My XP x64 box I brought up tonight with your instructions is working with FightCade except it wants 224 resolutions for everything and not 240. I'll see if I can change this in FBA before I look at VMMAKER.

EDIT:
Seems like the easiest way is in setting YresMin_XML = 192 in vmmaker.ini
bagheera369

Post by bagheera369 »

Update to the resolution issue. Problem was with the windows setting. Changed from 32bit color to 8, and windows would display,but mame wouldnt run....switched to 16bit, and now windows boots, and mame plays fine.
Just wanted to update in case anyone else had future issues.

Will update on the sound trouble when solved.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Over the weekend I grabbed two HDD's and installed Win7 and WinXP. I used super resolutions in Win7 and had to change the resolution to "1600x..." for FightCade to work in full screen arcade resolution mode.
Of course GroovyMAME worked flawlessly on both setups. However FightCade appeared crisper in XP. I could notice this in SF3:3rd Strike. In Win7 as the big red text was scrolling from left to right I could notice some shimmering just behind the text, the copyright message was also not as sharp as in XP.

The end result I'm sticking with XP for now in my 15kHz cabinet.
texaspowtapa
Please Continue...
Initials: TXS

Post by texaspowtapa »

i'm sorry

but i do not understand some things, about the connections

i have a broadcast monitor who takes rgb, and i want conect my pc with some of those ati video cards,

i'll need then a vga to bnc cable?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Yes.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

CRT_Emudriver has had a massive update. Still beta but looking very promising - you can use newer Radeons! Posted a link to the setup guide in the opening post.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:CRT_Emudriver has had a massive update. Still beta but looking very promising - you can use newer Radeons! Posted a link to the setup guide in the opening post.
I would only recommend following that guide if you can duplicate calamity's setup instuctions exactly, my single port low profile 4350 now has issues and im considering trying to get the old setup back on there! :roll:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I've not tried it yet. Current setups all work fine so until its out of beta I'm leaving them alone ;)

Wondering what the fastest card it supports with analogue out is though. Passively cooled of course.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:I've not tried it yet. Current setups all work fine so until its out of beta I'm leaving them alone ;)

Wondering what the fastest card it supports with analogue out is though. Passively cooled of course.
Well he mentioned the 7*** series in his notes which isnt a huge step up from 4*** tbh but there should be some differences...I just wanted to see if the process was painless......it wasn't! :lol:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Looks like there are sensible versions of the 6570 (passive, VGA port, low profile) available. And of the 7350/7450. But they're not easy to find. Ebay is awash with 6450 though, which look substantially quicker than the 4350.

Not necessary for MAME of course, but might make DirectX shiz better.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Are there any decent mobos with integrated Radeon chips? I'd rather get a small mobo with integrated graphics if I'm getting a MAME rig again.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I believe there are, dunno what though.

If you wanted a preflashed 4350 I've got a few spares ;)
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

cools wrote:If you wanted a preflashed 4350 I've got a few spares ;)
Sweet, any low profile ones? My HTPC (slimline DELL) is acting up all of a sudden, so it might be turned into a MAME PC. It's either that or trashing it. :awe: Need to sort out a new HTPC first though.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

They are all low profile, but need a bracket for fitting in that use.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

cools wrote:Looks like there are sensible versions of the 6570 (passive, VGA port, low profile) available. And of the 7350/7450. But they're not easy to find. Ebay is awash with 6450 though, which look substantially quicker than the 4350.

Not necessary for MAME of course, but might make DirectX shiz better.
Yeah DirectX is a different story altogether, defo improvements to be had there! ;)

Managed to get my PC back to old setup of CRTEmu and GM, created 120 modelines....can anyone recommend a good res for windows on the 15k nanao out of those res's that allow you to see the apply/ok buttons on windows :lol:

For some strange reason i've lost 640x480 @60p on my options (60i is still available)....I can only set at 59 which won't sync properly with the jpac :problem: