Radeon 6xxx w/ Soft15khz + Mame

Everything Emulator related
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Radeon 6xxx w/ Soft15khz + Mame

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Is anyone running a Radeon 6xxx series with Calamity drivers or similar?
I am thinking of getting a nettop PC that has a Radeon 6450 and wondered if it works ok with Soft15khz.

Thanks,

Dave
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Radeon 6xxx w/ Soft15khz + Mame

Post by pubjoe »

I haven't tinkered with a mame setup for ages, but I think I came across a comment by sailorsat recently saying that there is a new build of mame which works with newer hardware and is basically an even easier replacement for soft15khz.

I think it only works with nvidia or ati/amd though, can't remember which.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

pubjoe wrote:I haven't tinkered with a mame setup for ages, but I think I came across a comment by sailorsat recently saying that there is a new build of mame which works with newer hardware and is basically an even easier replacement for soft15khz.

I think it only works with nvidia or ati/amd though, can't remember which.
Cheers Joe. I will try and investigate a bit more.
I probably want to use the Slowpoke Mame for shmup love, but maybe lag has been removed from the Mame you mentioned :awe:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

**** knows. I've never been able to judge mame lag myself to be honest. Techy experts are split about whether the lag even exists enough to lose a single frame of response. Some insist on the special builds, some don't. I dunno.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Ah, by the way, it's groovymame.

There's also Calamity's EmuDriver: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119768.0"

Helpful looking quote from Paradroid at byoac:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 116669.160"
Paradroid wrote:Slow down retronerd! Let's take this one step at a time. That way we can make sure everything is understood and works properly...

Calamity has given you some good info. Spend a few moments to digest that before jumping ahead.

Here are the basic steps for arcade perfection using GroovyMAME:

1. Uninstall Soft-15kHz (you won't need this anymore).
2. Install the custom ATI driver (you've done this already).
3. Edit your vmaker .ini file to point to your MAME .exe file. Set it to generate an MAME XML the first time you run. Leave the monitor type as "CUSTOM".
4. Run vmaker and then restart your computer.
5. Launch Arcade_OSD. You should now see a HUGE list of video modes. Far more than with Soft-15kHz.
6. Place GroovyMAME.exe (or similarly named) in your MAME folder. Backup your old mame.ini and then generate a new one with GroovyMAME.
7. Launch GroovyMAME and choose a game to play...

If all the steps were followed correctly, you'll now be playing your favourite (15k) game at native resolution AND refresh rate on your Sony SCART television. No need to make a custom resolution for Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or Pulirula... GroovyMAME and vmaker do all the the work for you!

As Calamity said, if things aren't perfect already, you can work at discovering the upper and lower ranges of your monitor and create custom "monitor_spec" definitions to help with sizing and centring. If you re-read this thread right from the start you'll pick up most of the steps involved.

In summary, GroovyMAME, vmaker and Arcade_OSD are a suite of tools that work together. You don't need Soft-15kHz and should run the GroovyMAME build instead of regular MAME if you want CRT nirvana.
As I say though no idea about lag.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

pubjoe wrote:Ah, by the way, it's groovymame.

There's also Calamity's EmuDriver: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=119768.0"

Helpful looking quote from Paradroid at byoac:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 116669.160"

As I say though no idea about lag.
Nice one mate. Some great info there!
Getting native res's on Mame sounds amazing. I will be sure to try this.
Will post back with results :awe:

Dave
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

It works great ! My mamecab is using groovymame (with a radeon 4350), pixel perfect emulation is the way to go :awe: